Biophysical Profile is a scoring system that is done with an ultrasound to help detect fetal compromise in many high risk circumstances. In this exam the sonographer observes fetal behaviors and movements in a 30 minute period. This can give your doctor valuable information to insure your baby receives the best possible prenatal care.
- You will lie on an exam table with your pelvis exposed.
- A non-greasy gel will be applied to your skin during the exam.
- The sonographer will use a hand-held transducer (probe) against your pelvis to obtain images of your baby and pelvic organs.
- This exam can take up to 45 minutes.
- 32 ounces of water must be consumed one hour prior to exam time unless otherwise instructed.
- Do not empty your bladder until exam is complete unless otherwise instructed.
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment with a prescription if your doctor has given one to you.
- Let the technologist know:
- If you have difficulty holding your bladder.