Harry J. Hoenselaar ALS Clinic
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a complex disease requiring specialized care. The Henry Ford Harry J. Hoenselaar ALS Clinic has a decades-long history of extraordinary treatment and support.
We were among the first Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association Certified Treatment Centers of ExcellenceSM in the country. We have maintained this designation since 1984 and remain among the few programs delivering the highest level of ALS care.
More information about amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
ALS is a neurodegenerative disease that causes a breakdown in cells that control muscle movement (motor neurons). Symptoms include muscle weakness that get worse over time and may affect your ability to walk, speak, swallow and breathe. Read more about ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).
ALS treatment at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
At the Harry J. Hoenselaar ALS Clinic you have access to all of the expertise, treatments and support you need in one program. We tailor these services through all phases of your care journey to extend your well-being and quality of life. Our team sees hundreds of patients each year, some from great distances, making us one of Michigan’s busiest ALS clinics.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise: Henry Ford is home to three fellowship-trained neurologists specializing in ALS. We use the latest evaluation and treatment practices, so you can count on us for the best available care. Meet our team.
- Convenience: You receive most of the services you need in one visit. Our on-site nurses, therapists, and nutritionists all have experience caring for ALS patients. We make the most of your appointments, so you have more time for activities that are important to you.
- Noninvasive ventilation (NIV): ALS patients typically need assistance breathing. “Noninvasive” means you receive air through a mask instead of through a hole in your windpipe (tracheostomy). NIV provides greater comfort and improves quality of life.
- Support: An ALS association social worker is part of our team. This specialist assists you in addressing challenges that can get in the way of your care. Whether it’s emotional support or assistance with practical matters, like insurance coverage or Social Security Disability Insurance, we help make your life a little easier.
- Virtual care options: You may be able to receive some of your care from the comfort of home. Find out more about virtual care for neurologic conditions.
ALS research at Henry Ford
Henry Ford is advancing ALS care through research. We are a proud member of the largest, most active ALS research group in the nation, the Northeast ALS Consortium (NEALS). Our efforts also include participation in prestigious clinical trials testing new therapies.
Highlights of our ALS research include:
- Natural history study: We are using blood samples and other data from volunteers to learn more about ALS. These samples become part of a large national database. The database will help ALS researchers worldwide better understand why some patients get ALS and why some have symptoms that progress faster than others.
- Clinical trials for new ALS drugs: We offer ALS clinical trials testing new medications, some of which are only available in select programs nationwide.
- New care options for familial ALS: In a small number of cases, ALS is passed down in families through abnormal gene changes (mutations). We are evaluating an innovative therapy that uses chemical messengers to lessen the impact of certain mutations.
Our team approach to ALS care
When you come to Henry Ford, you benefit from our team approach. Highly skilled neurologists specializing in ALS guide your care with assistance from experts in: