At Henry Ford Health System, our expert team of licensed therapists helps you regain function and independence. Occupational therapy focuses on activities of daily living (ADL), hand-eye coordination and motor skills (muscle movements) so that you can return to your life at home, school or work.
Occupational therapy: Why choose Henry Ford?
We specialize in the unique needs of adults and children who have lost function due to a stroke, injury, surgery or health condition. Therapists coordinate treatment with your entire care team to help you lead the fullest possible life. We offer:
- Skilled experts: Our licensed occupational therapists are certified by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). We stay current on the latest evidence-based treatments, so you receive the highest standard of care.
- Specialty care: We offer specialty therapy in many key areas, including hand and upper extremity therapy, low-vision rehabilitation, driving rehabilitation, cancer rehabilitation, industrial rehabilitation and lymphedema therapy.
- Care coordination: We ensure your entire care team, including physicians, nurses and other providers, stays updated on your progress. Your therapist also helps coordinate your transition from inpatient rehabilitation to outpatient rehabilitation, if necessary.
- Pediatric occupational therapy: Henry Ford offers occupational therapy for children at select outpatient locations. We also provide specialized pediatric rehabilitation at our Chesterfield Rehab Clinic.
Conditions our occupational therapists treat
We provide care for a wide range of conditions, including:
- Chronic pain syndromes and arthritis
- Late effects of cancer treatment, including cognitive impairment and lymphedema
- Orthopedic injuries such as fractures and tendon tears
- Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders
- Postoperative recovery
- Stroke and traumatic brain injuries
Treatments we offer
We may recommend a combination of occupation-based treatments and therapies, including:
- Exercise training: Passive (with the assistance of your therapist) or active (unassisted) exercises enhance physical strength, range-of-motion and endurance.
- Electrical stimulation: Neuromuscular stimulation helps muscle function and improves your ability to grasp and hold objects. We attach small electrodes to the skin during this noninvasive therapy.
- Daily living modifications: We help you adjust daily activities to accommodate your unique challenges. We may also recommend changes to your home environment to improve safety and prevent reinjury.
- Neuromuscular re-education: We teach your brain, nerves and muscles to work together again so you can accomplish everyday tasks. By practicing each step many times, we can sharpen the motor skills needed to complete the task.
Find a location
Henry Ford offers occupational therapy at multiple locations throughout southeast and south central Michigan. Contact a location near you to schedule an appointment.