People of all ages and fitness levels can get back to daily activities with less pain. At Henry Ford Health, our team of licensed physical therapists and athletic trainers creates personalized treatment plans to optimize your performance on and off the field.
We work with anyone who is active, plays sports or who has a physically demanding job, such as firefighters, law enforcement and military. Sports therapists evaluate how your injury is affecting your life and your work. We also provide preventive sports medicine and consulting services, acting as health advisors and providing first-aid, to area high school and collegiate teams.
Sports physical therapy: Why choose Henry Ford?
Our top-tier program offers:
- Experienced therapists: Many therapists have board certifications in specialty areas like blood flow restriction therapy and manual therapy. You receive care from highly skilled experts.
- Easy access: We offer sports physical therapy at various locations in southeast and south central Michigan. In addition to in-person visits, we also offer virtual care to suit your busy schedule.
- State-of-the-art-equipment: Our Center for Athletic Medicine caters to people of all activity levels. The facility is equipped with innovative therapy equipment, including a gravity-free treadmill and laser therapy for soft tissue injuries.
- Coordinated care: Therapists work closely with physicians, athletic trainers, nutritionists, concussion specialists and other providers. This collaboration ensures you receive complete care.
Conditions our sports therapists treat
Our sports therapists treat a full range of musculoskeletal injuries caused by sports, exercise or job-related tasks, including:
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Elbow injuries
- Hip impingement, labral (joint cartilage) tears and groin injuries
- Knee injuries
- Rotator cuff or labral (joint cartilage) tears
- Sprains and strains
- Tendonitis and bursitis
Sports rehab treatments and services
Injuries affect everyone differently. That’s why we don’t just treat your symptoms or your diagnosis. We treat the whole person by performing a customized assessment and uncovering the root cause of your injury. We offer:
- Manual therapy: Hands-on therapy, including joint and instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization, helps you recover from surgery and injuries.
- Blood flow restriction training: A specialized cuff restricts blood flow to certain muscle groups during exercise or therapy. This technique helps improve strength while minimizing wear and tear on the muscle.
- FITLIGHT® training: A wireless reaction-timing system helps you improve speed, agility and power. Therapists create sport-specific performance training plans.
- Rest and recovery: We help you optimize the time between therapy sessions by giving you comprehensive rest and recovery plans. These plans may include cold, heat or compression therapy techniques. We also have an anti-gravity treadmill to ease you back into physical activity as you heal.
Find a location
Henry Ford offers sports therapy at select locations in southeast and south central Michigan. Contact a location near you to schedule an appointment.
Explore our blogs
Read blog articles and patient stories to learn more about sports therapy: