Chronic pain can make it hard to sleep, exercise or focus on your life at home and work. At Henry Ford Health System, our licensed physical therapists provide treatments and pain control strategies to improve your quality of life.
Chronic pain therapy: Why choose Henry Ford?
We not only address your pain, but also the ways it’s affecting your physical and mental health. Our team takes a whole-person approach to care by designing a treatment plan for your unique needs. We offer:
- Evidence-based treatments: Our therapists complete ongoing pain management education. We put the latest evidence-based research into practice, ensuring you receive the most effective treatments.
- Extensive services: If underlying issues, such as stress, depression or sleep deprivation, are making your pain worse, we can help. Therapists can connect you to other services within the Henry Ford network. You may benefit from integrative medicine, behavioral health or sleep disorder treatments.
- Care coordination: Your therapist works closely with your referring provider to ensure you receive complete care. We use an integrated electronic medical records system to stay updated on your overall health. Therapists review your medications, imaging scans and other test results, updating your rehabilitation program as needed.
- Experienced team: Our pain therapists treat patients who are referred from a range of specialty areas, including orthopedics, neurology and surgery. Their combined experience means you’ll be treated by a highly skilled team.
Conditions we treat
We treat persistent pain (lasting longer than three months) due to pain syndromes, surgery or trauma. We also treat pain that doesn’t have a known cause or diagnosis. Our therapists can help with the following conditions:
- Limb amputation
- Multiple sclerosis
- Nerve damage
- Trigeminal neuralgia
Pain therapies we offer
Pain is often caused by the way your nervous system processes pain signals. During pain therapy, we may use a variety of techniques to reset the communication between your body and brain.
- Activity simplification: Therapists break activities down into manageable steps. We show you ways to move your body to perform each step with less pain.
- Electrical stimulation: Noninvasive electrical treatments, such as transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS therapy), can stimulate your body’s natural painkillers.
- Endurance pacing: We gradually increase your activity level, identifying and addressing pain triggers along the way.
- Manual therapy: Hands-on soft tissue therapy may reduce inflammation and lower pain sensitivity.
- Integrative medicine: We can connect you with services such as acupuncture, massage, reiki and other holistic pain relief therapies.
- Pain management: Therapists may recommend pain management treatments, such as nerve blocks or pain pumps, to help you stay comfortable during rehabilitation.
Find a location
Henry Ford offers pain therapy at multiple locations throughout southeast and south central Michigan. Contact a location near you to schedule an appointment.
Explore our blogs
Read blog articles and patient stories to learn more about pain management: