Lung cancer screening has shown that we can detect cancer much earlier in people most at risk.
Tobacco Treatment Coaching
You can quit. Henry Ford can help.
You’re working on quitting, and making real progress, but sometimes you get that strong urge to reach for a cigarette or other tobacco. And you know during your day when that urge is likely to happen. With Henry Ford, help is a phone call away.
The Tobacco Treatment Service offers telephone-based, one-on-one coaching and support to help you break free from tobacco. You choose the time and place to receive the coaching calls, whether it's at work or home, during the day or evening. A personal coach trained in tobacco treatment guides you every step of the way through the quitting process.
What can you expect?
When you contact us, we reach out to your doctor to make sure we have all the information we need to help you best. To authorize the right medications for you, we may ask your doctor to sign a consult form that provides your coach with the information they need to advise you.
While we obtain that information, we’ll schedule a phone conversation between you and a Henry Ford tobacco treatment coach to understand the particulars of your tobacco use. Your coach follows up with you directly by phone during the six-month program. During the first phone appointment, your counselor will work with you to:
- Determine your level of nicotine dependence.
- Identify situations that may tempt you to smoke.
- Plan strategies to help you overcome cravings and temptations.
- Develop a quit plan that fits your lifestyle and needs.
- Discuss the pros and cons of nicotine replacement therapies (patch, gum, inhaler, nasal spray, or lozenge), as well as bupropion (Zyban®) or varenicline (Chantix®) to treat withdrawal symptoms, and prescribe medication that is right for you.
Your coach will send you a Quit Work Book filled with practical advice and tips, because the more you know about the process of quitting tobacco, the better you’ll be at coping and handling challenging situations.
Your coach will call you as often as you prefer over the course of the six-month program to track your progress and provide support, advice and encouragement.
You can call your coach directly to speak to them during their regular office hours, or to leave a message. Your coach also can be reached by email if you want to ask a question, communicate that you’re having a rough day, or talk through the urge to use tobacco.
Benefits of quitting tobacco
Recovery from tobacco use begins as soon as you quit. In fact, after:
- Twenty Minutes: Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.
- Eight Hours: The carbon monoxide level in your blood returns to normal.
- Two Weeks – Three Months: Your circulation improves and lung function increases.
- One – Nine Months: Coughing, sinus congestion, shortness of breath, and fatigue decrease.
- One Year: Your risk of heart disease is cut in half.
- Five Years: Your risk of stroke is similar to people who have never smoked.
- Ten Years: Your risk of lung cancer is about half that of a smoker.
- Fifteen Years: Your risk of heart disease is the same as for people who never smoked.
Henry Ford offers a special discount on acupuncture to support quitting tobacco. If you’re enrolled in the Tobacco Treatment Service, you can receive a package of five acupuncture visits for the reduced price of $200 — less than half of the normal cost. For more information, call TIP at (888) 427-7587.