Guidelines for visiting Maternity Units, Antenatal Units, NICUs and Special Care Nurseries at Henry Ford Health
The following visiting guidelines are in place at all Henry Ford Health hospitals, with exceptions as noted.
Maternity units for mothers and babies
Maternity units include:
- Labor & delivery
- Family-centered maternity care
- Post-partum (after delivery)
- Antenatal (special care unit for pregnant mothers)
Two visitors/support persons may visit maternity units at the same time along with one credentialed doula, with the following exceptions:
- At Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, four visitors are permitted. Maternity unit visitation at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital is permitted 24/7.
- At Henry Ford Jackson Hospital, three visitors and one credentialed doula are permitted.
- At Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, one support person, two additional visitors, and one credentialed doula are permitted.
- If you are visiting a COVID-19 positive patient in any maternity unit, please contact the patient's care team for guidelines.
- Siblings may be allowed to visit during times of non-peak community illness. A responsible adult (other than the patient) must be with the children at all times.
- Visitors other than the patient’s children must be 12 years old.
- Contact the unit to confirm current guidelines for sibling visits before arrival.
Overnight or after-hours visitation
- One visitor (age 18 years or older) may be allowed overnight.
- Please talk to the patient’s care team in advance for approval of overnight visitation.
- Learn more about overnight or after-hours visitation at Henry Ford Health.
NICUs and special care nurseries (SCNs)
- Two parents or guardians may be with the patient 24/7.
- A total of four additional visitors, 18 years or older (approved by parents), are allowed during regular visiting hours (9 a.m. to 8 p.m.). These four visitors must be approved in advance by the parents to visit throughout the infant’s hospitalization.
- Exception: At Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, one support person and two additional visitors, and a certified doula are allowed.
- Siblings may be allowed to visit during times of non-peak community illness. A responsible adult (other than the patient) must accompany the children at all times.
- Family members should contact the unit to confirm current guidelines for sibling visits before arrival.
- Minor visitors other than the patient’s children must be 12 years old.
If you have questions about visiting a maternity unit, antenatal unit, NICU or special care nursery at Henry Ford Health, please ask the patient or the infant’s parent, who can connect with the care team to answer questions about visiting.
Henry Ford Health’s visitor policy is subject to change. The most recent changes may not be reflected on this website. Please follow the guidelines provided by our team members when you enter the hospital or while seeing your loved one.