Your role in keeping you and your family safe and healthy
As our patient, you are the most important member of the health care team. At Henry Ford, it is our mission to keep you safe and provide you the highest quality care. There are many ways you can also play an active role in keeping you and your loved ones safe. Here is how you can help:
- Ask questions. Questions help you to stay informed. If you’re thinking it, ask it!
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate.
- If you don’t understand something, ask again – it’s your body and you have a right to know.
- Speak up if something doesn’t seem right.
- Review instructions with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. And repeat back instructions as you understood them. You might say, "This is new to me. I want to make sure I know how to care for myself at home. I’m supposed to ... (repeat back instructions as you understood them)."
- Let the health care team know if you need an interpreter during your visit. Henry Ford provides interpreter services, to all of our patients, free of charge.
Whether you are a patient, a caregiver, parent or student, each of us can take key steps to ensure that we remain safe from harm and prevent an illness or health condition.
Safety tools for patients
Print and bring the following flier with you to use as a patient safety tool and help keep track of care and medication instructions during your visit.
Safety tools for schools and students
School season can mean prime time for catching a cold or the flu. Print out this information and factsheet on preventing common infections and how to treat them.
Safety tools for parents
From immunizations to choking prevention and First Aid, get the information you need to keep your child safe and healthy.