DETROIT (June 16, 2022) – Two Henry Ford Health medical centers, which have provided service to the Grosse Pointe and eastside communities for more than 135 years, are being aligned under one name to better serve patients.
The Cottage and Pierson Clinic medical centers will be known as the North and South Buildings of the Henry Ford Medical Center-Grosse Pointe. The medical centers are located across from each other and connected by a walkway at the corner of Kercheval and Muir Road in downtown Grosse Pointe Farms.
Bringing together the two multi-specialty medical centers under one name comes as construction is under way on the South Building (formerly the Pierson Clinic), which was damaged by a fire last summer. After the fire, patient appointments were rescheduled to other Henry Ford locations including the North Building (formerly Cottage). New signage will appear soon on both buildings.
“We are humbled and grateful that our patients and eastside community members have trusted Henry Ford for so many years through seeking care at both of these prominent healthcare facilities,” said Bob Riney, President of Healthcare Operations and Chief Operating Officer, Henry Ford Health. “We will continue to provide the exceptional level of care and service that they have come to expect from us. We’re excited about the enhancements coming to the South Building and look forward to resuming a full level of services there soon.”
The South Building has been caring for patients since 1988. It was made possible by a generous gift from the estate of H. Lynn Pierson, a Detroit businessman and boyhood friend of Edsel Ford, the son of Henry Ford. Pierson also served as a Henry Ford Hospital trustee from 1955-1978.
All four floors of the South Building are being renovated to make way for some patient services that will re-open as early as this summer. The first service to open this summer will be Ear, Nose and Throat on the third floor.
The South Building is expected to be fully operational in 2023. Services will include dermatology, internal medicine, plastic surgery, center for integrative medicine, and orthopedics and sports medicine – specialty mainstays provided at the building prior to the fire. Pharmacy and lab services will be located on the first floor.
The North Building has been a healthcare anchor in the community since opening as Cottage Hospital in 1919. In 2008 it was converted into a multi-specialty medical center offering a wide range of primary and specialty services. In 2015, senior housing opened on two floors of the building in a partnership with American House Grosse Pointe. American House residents have access to medical services at both the North and South Buildings.
A full complement of services is offered at the North Building, which continues to maintain a steady volume of appointments. These include ambulatory surgery, cancer care, a 24/7 emergency department, infusion, neurology, radiation oncology, rehabilitation, a same-day clinic for minor medical ailments, sleep medicine and a women’s diagnostic center.
NEWS MEDIA ONLY may contact: David Olejarz / [email protected] / 313-303-0606