Manic depression and bipolar disorder are two types of mood disorders. A mood disorder may cause dramatic mood swings from extreme highs (mania) to extreme lows (depression), with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with the mood changes.
Treatment for mood disorders at Henry Ford
We develop personalized treatment plans for all of our patients to meet your particular needs. We believe in patient-centered care that involves you and family members at every step.
Our treatment recommendations may include one or more of the following:
- Medications often effectively manage bipolar disorder. After an evaluation and diagnosis, our therapists closely monitor patients because changes in medications and doses are usually necessary over time.
- Behavioral-cognitive therapy to help you understand the disease better and manage its mood-altering triggers.
- Family therapy to foster understanding and help create a support structure.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), a non-invasive, FDA-approved stimulation therapy for severe depression.
Mood disorders treatment in children and teens
Your child will see a psychiatrist who is board-certified in pediatric psychiatry and fellowship trained. That means, you can feel confident that the specialist treating your child has special training working with children and teens and has even attended additional years of school to specialize in this area.
We treat the full range of pediatric mood disorders, including:
- Major depression disorders
- Bipolar disorders in children/adolescents
- Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD)