The goal of addiction treatment is to stop the cycle of addiction and help the patient successfully reintegrate into family, work and community life. The experienced and sensitive staff at Henry Ford Behavioral Health Services works with each individual, along with family and loved ones, to create a personalized, effective treatment plan for our patients.
Addiction treatment in Michigan
Maplegrove Center, the addiction treatment facility at Henry Ford, is one the region’s leading addiction therapy centers. At Maplegrove, we view addiction as an illness that affects all aspects of a patient’s life, including physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. Left untreated, addiction causes patients’ health to continue to deteriorate, compromising their wellbeing and relationships.
Features of our expert care include:
- Holistic approach to care. At Maplegrove, we treat the whole person, not just the addiction. We address the many ways addiction affects our patients’ lives, as well as the physical and psychiatric conditions that may accompany addiction.
- Comprehensive treatment. Addiction is a disease, not a moral issue or a matter of will power. At Maplegrove, we treat addiction as an illness: beginning with a comprehensive evaluation, continuing with individualized treatment and then creating a stable recovery plan to assist with the ongoing care.
- Evidence-based treatment. Evidence-based treatment means that we use the latest research to inform our techniques and care. Our outcomes have proven to be effective. We incorporate clinical care models—including 12-step facilitation and cognitive behavioral therapy—from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Expert team. Our team includes specialists with years of experience and training in addiction medicine. We have in-depth knowledge and understanding of addiction and the most effective ways to treat it. At Maplegrove, we treat our patients as if they were members of our own family. Meet the Maplegrove team.
- Family support. Addiction affects the entire family. We provide support services to family members, including children.
- Accredited. The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals has accredited our facility since 1981. We undergo regular, rigorous review from the Joint Commission every 18 months.
Learn more about the Henry Ford Maplegrove Center.
Causes of addiction
Addiction is chemical dependency. It is a progressive disease that causes patients’ health to deteriorate. Without intervention, addiction becomes uncontrolled and potentially fatal. However, expert, individualized treatment can control the addiction and helps put our patients back in charge of their life.
Factors that may influence addiction include:
- Inherited factors, such as genes
- Social, physical and psychological factors that cause addiction to develop over time
Addiction treatment: Services we provide
At Maplegrove, our staff uses a three-phase approach to addiction treatment. Our goal is to address each individual’s needs and recovery. Because addiction treatment is unique to each person, keep in mind that:
- Each patient will experience these phases differently.
- The length of time for each phase will differ.
- The phases occur on a continuum of outpatient to inpatient care. Some patients may begin at the outpatient level, while others may require more intensive inpatient care first.
The three phases of addiction treatment are:
- Interruption (Phase I). Stops the cycle of addiction and establishes complete abstinence.
- Rehabilitation (Phase II). Facilitates intensive education and therapy to promote recognition and acceptance of addiction. Patients begin introducing daily routines of recovery such as 12-step meetings, counseling and stress management.
- Recovery (Phase III). Implements ongoing support structures such as group and individual counseling, in combination with 12-step meetings, to promote stable integration into family, work, school and community.