Many patients require medical supervision in a residential (inpatient) setting to safely detox. Our addiction team offers residential detox services at Henry Ford Allegiance Addiction Recovery Center in Jackson and Henry Ford Maplegrove Center in West Bloomfield. We may recommend residential detox for you if:
- You need medical supervision to safely detox
- You have not been able to successfully interrupt your substance use while in an outpatient program
- You’re not able to travel to one of our outpatient detox locations on a daily basis
- Your home environment isn’t suitable for outpatient detox (e.g., other drug users at home, etc.)
- You have additional medical conditions that need to be monitored, such as high blood pressure
- You’re currently being treated for additional behavioral health disorders, such as depression
Learn more about our residential addiction care.
You may be a candidate for outpatient detox if you are able to stop using alcohol or drugs on your own, and our addiction physician agrees that you can safely complete detox in an outpatient setting. We offer outpatient detox services at the following locations:
- Henry Ford Allegiance Substance Abuse Services
- Henry Ford Maplegrove Center in West Bloomfield
- Henry Ford Behavioral Health in Detroit
- Henry Ford Behavioral Health in Clinton Township
During outpatient detox you can expect to:
- Start medication that safely manages your withdrawal symptoms. The medication does not cause addiction and is only used until the detoxification has been completed.
- Be examined and monitored by addiction board-certified physicians who will oversee your medical safety
- Continue your daily routines at home, work or school
- Participate in a plan for regular counseling, which may include an intensive outpatient program
Our addiction team offers detox services to teens on an outpatient basis only, due to the need for family involvement in care. For adults, outpatient detox may be an appropriate choice if:
- You’re in relatively good health
- You can’t afford inpatient detox
- You have a strong support system at home
Your detox care likely will include medication-assisted treatment, also known as MAT. Medication-assisted treatment can help you detox more safely and minimize the risk of serious complications during treatment.