Use this checklist when you consult with your breast cancer doctor or care team to make sure you're getting the thorough, caring experience you deserve.
When to Get a Second Opinion
The value of a fresh perspective on your breast cancer care.
A breast cancer diagnosis is scary and overwhelming. And, you have a lot of questions: What’s going to happen to me? Where do I find the best doctor and treatment? It’s important to slow down and take a crucial step to find answers and reassurance: Get a second opinion.
See our entire team — in one visit — in one week
At Henry Ford, our breast cancer team makes getting a second opinion convenient and simple:
- Within a week, you’ll have one appointment to see our entire breast cancer team
- Our team will give you a complete treatment plan by the end of your first visit
- 24/7 personal nurse navigator support to answer your questions and schedule appointments
- Your team includes fellowship trained breast cancer surgeons and reconstruction surgeons
- Breast reconstruction will be addressed during your first visit; no need to schedule a separate appointment
Having the viewpoint of another doctor can help you feel more comfortable with and sure of your treatment decisions, particularly if your second doctor confirms the findings and recommendations of your first doctor. That’s one reason our doctors discuss treatment plans and options for each patient at our regular tumor boards. These meetings ensure you receive the best recommendations from our whole breast cancer team, not just the doctors directly involved in your care.
Having the opinion of a team that focuses solely on breast cancer can help ease your mind as well. Some health systems employ general surgeons who work with many different types of cancer. In contrast, all our surgeons are fellowship-trained in breast cancer surgery, meaning they have received extra specialized instruction in these cases and specialize in caring for patients with breast cancer.
Need peace of mind before starting cancer treatment? Getting a second opinion can help.