Liver Conditions We Treat
The Henry Ford Liver Disease Center is known throughout Michigan and the nation to provide specialized care for even the most complex forms of liver disease in adults. We offer leading-edge therapies, access to clinical trials and a personalized approach to care that’s hard to find elsewhere. Our experts focus on restoring your liver function and preventing long-term damage so you can enjoy a longer, fuller life.
Liver disease treatment: Why choose Henry Ford?
Our nationally renowned liver care program offers:
- Specialty expertise: Our liver disease team includes liver specialists (hepatologists) who are board certified in both gastroenterology and transplant hepatology. This advanced training means they can handle all types and stages of liver disease, from hepatitis to end-stage liver failure.
- Team approach: Hepatologists work with experts in multiple disciplines to ensure you receive complete care. Surgeons, oncologists, interventional radiologists, registered dietitians and other providers weigh in on your care plan as needed.
- Clinical trials for liver disease: We’re always investigating better ways to detect and treat liver disease. At Henry Ford Health, you have access to cutting-edge clinical trials for fatty liver disease, autoimmune hepatitis, liver cancer and liver transplants. Participating in trials gives you access to the newest therapies, and you help us improve care for others. Browse our clinical trials.
- Care for complex liver conditions: As Michigan’s foremost liver disease center, we’re well known for our expertise in complicated liver conditions. We treat complex vascular disorders of the liver, advanced cirrhosis and people with fatty liver disease who are not transplant candidates. So, even if you’ve been told you’re out of treatment options, we can help.
Care for all types of liver disease
Our hepatologists offer customized care for any liver condition. They focus on preventing long-term liver damage and enhancing your quality of life. Learn more about how we evaluate and diagnose liver disease.
Fatty liver diseases
We specialize in both alcohol-related fatty liver disease and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. A multispecialty team works together to help you make diet and lifestyle adjustments and treat underlying health conditions such as obesity or Type 2 diabetes.
Our ongoing viral hepatitis research has helped set the standard for today’s newest drug therapies for hepatitis B and C. We offer the latest treatments to prevent cirrhosis and liver cancer, including direct-acting antivirals.
We have the expertise and diagnostic technology to detect cirrhosis as early as possible when treatment is more effective. We help you make lifestyle adjustments, preserve liver function and reduce your risk of liver failure. We can also provide guidance if and when it’s time to consider liver transplantation.
Henry Ford is home to one of the nation’s leading liver cancer treatment programs. We offer leading-edge treatments for liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma), including liver ablation, embolization therapies, surgical resection, liver transplant, clinical trials and combination approaches to therapy. We also pioneered the latest nonsurgical technologies to treat liver tumors, such as the world's first ViewRay MRIdian Linac®.
Autoimmune liver diseases
We treat the full range of autoimmune liver diseases, including autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitis. These rare but serious conditions can lead to cirrhosis and liver failure. At Henry Ford, we routinely evaluate and treat these uncommon liver diseases.
Other liver conditions we treat
We have specialized expertise in many other types of liver disease, including:
- Acute liver failure: Sudden loss of liver function, which can be the result of hepatitis or a medication overdose
- Hemochromatosis: An inherited condition that causes a buildup of iron in your body, which can harm your liver and other organs
- Portal hypertension: High blood pressure in the veins of your liver, usually caused by cirrhosis
- Wilson’s disease: An inherited condition that causes a buildup of copper in your body, which can harm your liver and other organs
Take the next step
To connect with a liver disease specialist, call (313) 916-8865 or request an appointment.