Join us the first week of each month to address the unique experiences stem cell transplant caregivers face. The group will consist of an...
Henry Ford ophthalmologists diagnose and treat all types of eye cancer, including rare eye tumors.
A diagnosis of cancer -- any cancer -- is overwhelming. At Henry Ford, patients will find compassion and ongoing support from experienced ophthalmologists and cancer specialists. Our doctors offer what every patient with eye cancer and their family needs: rapid diagnosis, personalized care and expert treatment.
Eye cancer can develop anywhere in or around the eye, including:
Eye cancer specialists
Henry Ford ophthalmologists are experienced in treating patients with all three major types of eye cancers, including:
- Primary: Eye tumors that originate in a specific part of the eye or its associated structures
- Secondary: Eye tumors that spread from the sinuses and central nervous system to the eye or its associated structures
- Metastatic: Eye tumors that spread from other areas of the body
Our team also has experience with rare eye tumors, including ocular melanoma and retinoblastoma.
Diagnostic tests for eye cancer
Through the Henry Ford Department of Ophthalmology and the Henry Ford Cancer Institute, patients with eye cancer have access to advanced diagnostic tests and surgical treatments. All eye cancer diagnosis begins with a thorough physical examination, followed by any necessary imaging tests, which may include:
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Fluorescein angiography
- Fundus photography
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Other specialized testing
Eye cancer treatment
Eye cancer treatment aims to preserve or restore vision and appearance whenever possible. Therapy may include:
- Radiation therapy
- Photocoagulation (laser therapy)
- Cryotherapy (freezing therapy)
Eye cancer surgery
Given the complex nature of many eye tumors, our eye cancer surgeons work together with neurosurgeons, otolaryngologists and maxillofacial surgeons to provide coordinated care, when necessary.
Plastic and reconstructive surgery
In addition, plastic and reconstructive surgery plays a major role in the treatment of many eye tumors. Our ophthalmic plastic surgeons are experienced in providing surgical treatments for many types of eye cancers, including:
- Eyelid cancers: These types of eye tumors include basal cell carcinomas, squamous cell carcinomas and sebaceous adenocarcinomas.
- Conjunctival cancers: These types of eye tumors include squamous cell carcinomas and melanomas.
- Primary orbital cancers: These types of eye tumors include rhabdomyosarcomas, lymphomas, benign mixed cell tumors of the lacrimal gland (pleomorphic adenomas) and adenoid cystic carcinomas of the lacrimal gland.
- Secondary orbital cancers: These types of eye tumors include meningiomas, ameloblastomas, inverted papillomas, squamous cell carcinomas and adenoid cystic carcinomas.
- Metastatic orbital cancers: These types of eye tumors include cancers from the breast, lung, prostate, adrenal glands and kidney.
Ocularists are also available to craft artificial eyes, as needed.
At Henry Ford, patients come first.
The Henry Ford Department of Ophthalmology is committed to providing our patients with compassionate, personalized care. We feature the most advanced treatments in eye care and are dedicated to vision research -- always staying at the forefront of innovation. A leader in Michigan, as well as one of the largest ophthalmology practices in the United States, we treat more than 55,000 patients per year at 12 locations throughout southeast Michigan. In addition, our team works closely with Henry Ford Medical Group physicians in other departments, providing multidisciplinary, coordinated care for those patients who need it.
The Henry Ford Breast Cancer Support Group meets virtually every month to educate and support women who are currently being treated for, or are...
This weekly group, facilitated by a professional counselor/social worker offers patients an opportunity to express their feelings and concerns and...
Hosted by Art Therapist Calli Perry, join us weekly for free open studio sessions and spend some you-time having fun and being creative! Bring your...
Study Shows Promising Safety, Patient Outcomes Data for MRI-Guided Adaptive Radiation Therapy to Treat Pancreatic Cancer
DETROIT (Nov. 21, 2022) – Findings from a recent prospective study show promising safety and patient outcomes data for locally advanced and...
First-of-its-kind Galleri® Multi-Cancer Early Detection blood test can screen for multiple cancers through a single blood draw. DETROIT and...
Henry Ford Hospital Earns Prestigious Recognition from National Accreditation Program for Rectal Cancer
One of only 69 hospitals across the country to earn this quality accreditation. DETROIT (Oct. 20, 2022) – Henry Ford Hospital has earned a...
Henry Ford Health + MSU Health Sciences Funds Five Cancer Research Grants to Advance Cancer Medicine, Combat Health Disparities
The grants of up to $100,000 each follow the partnership’s recent funding of 18 pilot grants. DETROIT (August 23, 2022) – Henry Ford...