The Henry Ford difference
- Expertise: Our specialists have expert knowledge and skills in all facets of heart imaging.
- Access: We offer testing at several locations throughout metro Detroit.
- Technology: Complex conditions require the most advanced diagnostics. We offer the latest heart imaging tests available.
- Range of treatments, including for related conditions: An accurate diagnosis is only the first step. We also offer the full spectrum of advanced treatment options for all heart and vascular conditions. This includes advanced heart failure, cardiomyopathies and rare diseases that can affect the heart, such as sarcoidosis and amyloidosis.
- Seamless care: Our cardiology experts also work with experts from other Henry Ford specialties to provide coordinated care for multiple conditions, when necessary.
Types of tests offered
When it comes to heart imaging, one size does not fit all. Depending on your particular case, your Henry Ford cardiology team may order one or more of the following advanced heart imaging tests:
- Echocardiogram: An Echocardiogram uses ultrasound (high-frequency sound waves) to produce images of your heart, showing the heart’s structure and function as it beats and pumps blood.
- Heart CT scan: A heart computed tomography (CT) scan is a noninvasive test that uses X-rays to create several detailed images of your heart and its blood vessels.
- Heart MRI scan: A heart magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan is a noninvasive test that uses a powerful magnetic field and radio waves along with a computer to create several detailed images of your heart muscle, chambers, valves and adjacent blood vessels.
- Heart PET scan: Heart positron emission tomography (PET) testing is a minimally invasive, nuclear imaging technique that studies blood flow and identifies blockages in coronary arteries.
- Nuclear stress test: A nuclear stress test is another minimally invasive nuclear imaging technique that studies blood flow in coronary arteries.
Given the variety of heart imaging tests that are available, and the fact that there can be more than one test available for some conditions, you may be confused on what you need. In addition, your physician may order a different test to help clarify the results of a previous one.
As part of your personalized treatment plan, your Henry Ford cardiology team will explain why they are recommending the specific test or tests for your condition, explain how each one works and answer any of your questions.