Why do I need one?
Your cardiology team may order a heart PET scan for several reasons:
- Coronary artery disease (CAD): The most common type of heart disease, this refers to a narrowed or blocked heart artery. This blockage is often related to a process known as atherosclerosis, which is the buildup of plaque, a waxy substance made up of cholesterol and other materials. A heart PET may be used to determine if CAD is present and how extensive it is. Given that this test may help detect early atherosclerosis, if you have certain risk factors your physician may order a scan even if you have no symptoms.
- After a heart attack: To evaluate damage to the heart muscle, including scarring. In select cases, we may use a special isotope of radioactive glucose (sugar) to detect living heart muscle.
- Heart procedures: A heart PET scan gives a detailed picture of blood flow through the heart’s arteries. It also identifies both damaged and living heart muscle. As a result, this test can help determine if you would benefit from a heart procedure to help restore blood flow and preserve healthy heart muscle. These procedures may include a minimally invasive cardiac catheterization procedure such as angioplasty, stenting or chronic total occlusion percutaneous coronary intervention (CTO PCI), or coronary artery bypass surgery.
- Treatment progress: If you are already being treated for heart disease, your physician may order a heart PET scan to monitor the effectiveness of your treatment.
- Unusual diseases: This test also helps detect and follow treatment for rare diseases that can affect the heart, such as sarcoidosis.
Given the variety of heart imaging tests that are available, and the fact that there can be more than one test available for some conditions, you may be confused on what you need. In addition, your physician may order a different test to help clarify the results of a previous one.
As part of your personalized treatment plan, your Henry Ford cardiology team will explain why they are recommending the specific test or tests for your condition, explain how each one works and answer any of your questions.
The Henry Ford difference
- Expertise: Our specialists include fellowship-trained cardiology and radiology specialists representing all testing types, American College of Radiology (ACR) certified technologists and certified exercise physiologists, and cardiology testing trained nurses.
- Latest technology: We offer a state-of-the-art imaging technology center, ensuring that we can offer the best imaging option available that meets your specific needs.
- A focus on safety: Patient safety is our primary goal. We use exclusive protocols that are customized for you, and which are designed to exceed national and manufacturer’s standards.
- Fast results: Available within approximately 24 hours.
- Range of treatments: An accurate diagnosis is only the first step. We also offer the full spectrum of advanced treatment options for all heart and vascular conditions, including rare diseases.