Mammography is an x-ray exam of breast tissue. The image produced is called a mammogram. A mammogram can help detect problems with your breasts, such as cysts or cancer.
- You will need to undress from the waist up.
- The technologist will position your breasts to get the best test results.
- Each of your breasts will be compressed. This helps get the most complete x-ray image.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Bring a prescription if your doctor has given one to you.
- Do not apply underarm deodorant, powders, ointments or creams to your chest area the day of your scheduled exam. These products can show up on the images.
- Bring prior mammography exams from other facilities with you at the time of the current exam.