Breast screening and diagnostic tests
Our breast cancer team includes the expertise of a dedicated breast imaging faculty, featuring more than 15 fellowship-trained breast radiologists. We offer the most advanced technologies available to detect, diagnose and manage breast cancer:
- Mammograms, including digital mammograms and digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT, also called “3D mammography”), which is recommended for women with dense breasts
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and whole-breast ultrasound are useful in special circumstances, such as screening women at high risk for breast cancer.
- Molecular breast imaging (MBI) is designed to increase early detection of invasive breast cancer in women with dense breast tissue. This test is used in addition to digital mammography or 3D mammography.
- Computed tomography (CT), including CT scans combined with positron emission tomography (PET/CT)
- Nuclear medicine
- Sentinel node biopsy, which is the surgical removal of only the sentinel lymph node under the arm, which provides important information for the doctor on the next steps in treating your breast cancer.
- Stereotactic biopsy, A minimally invasive procedure that uses x-ray for guidance and localizes the nodule to accurately obtain samples to send for testing.
- Automated whole breast ultrasound (ABUS), a 3D breast screening option for women with dense breasts.