Breast Needle Localization
Breast needle localization is a procedure performed with a special needle and X-rays to identify the precise location of abnormal tissue before performing a breast tissue biopsy or surgery. This helps make it easier to perform a biopsy and also minimizes the removal of healthy breast tissue.
- Mammogram and X-Ray will be done to precisely locate the area of concern and a needle will be placed in that area.
- Other images will be done to make sure the needle is placed properly.
- The wire will then be inserted and attached to the breast tissue that needs to be removed. The needle will then be removed.
- The wire will be removed during surgery.
- Outpatient surgery will contact you regarding specific instructions on how to prepare for your exam.