Henry Ford stroke neurologist Alex Chebl, M.D., answers the four questions most people are searching for online.
Advanced Stroke Care
Metro Detroit’s stroke experts providing diagnosis and treatment in minutes
Every 40 seconds someone has a stroke, making it the leading cause of adult disability in the United States. When you or a loved one is having a stroke, every second counts. If you suspect stroke, call 9-1-1 immediately. The experts at Henry Ford Stroke Center are ready round the clock to diagnose and begin treatment in minutes.
A stroke is when blood flow to part of the brain is cut off. When this happens, brain cells begin to die due to lack of oxygen. Delayed diagnosis and treatment can result in permanent disability or death. That’s why it’s important to recognize the signs of stroke and know what to do in an emergency. And when it comes to treating stroke, not all emergency rooms are the same.
Why choose Henry Ford for stroke care?
In a stroke emergency, having an experienced team with access to the latest treatment is important. Our highly trained stroke experts are dedicated to giving you the best care available, helping get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.
The Comprehensive Stroke Center at Henry Ford Hospital offers:
- The most advanced diagnostic tools and treatment options available, as demonstrated by our Comprehensive Stroke Center certification from The Joint Commission. Learn more
- Experienced team of board-certified stroke experts available 24/7
- A diagnosis in minutes in any of our Henry Ford ERs, which means treatment starts quickly
- The most fellowship-trained stroke neurologists in southeast Michigan, ensuring an experienced team with advanced training in stroke treatment is overseeing your care
- Doctors with advanced training who specialize in endovascular (minimally invasive) treatment
- Emergency treatment for both ischemic (blocking an artery) and hemorrhagic (bleeding in brain) strokes
- Better outcomes following stroke treatment, compared to other centers
- Pioneers in stroke research, with 35 active research studies, including 11 ongoing clinical trials
Our team also provides educational support, treatment to prevent a future stroke, and physical and occupational therapies to create a comprehensive care plan that is unique to each individual.
Did you know that certain ethnicities have a higher risk for stroke? Understanding your unique risk factors can help you take steps to prevent stroke.
What is a Comprehensive Stroke Center?
The Comprehensive Stroke Center at Henry Ford Hospital is one of the few institutions awarded certification as a Comprehensive Stroke Center from The Joint Commission. This certification recognizes the significant resources in staff and training in order to treat complex stroke cases.
As a Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Center, we are required to have:
- Advanced resources for the acute treatment of stroke patients available 24 hours per day, seven days per week
- A dedicated neurocritical care unit
- A high volume of stroke cases
- Certified vascular neurologists, neurosurgeons, neuroradiologists and vascular surgeons
- Advanced practice nurses
- Advanced neurodiagnostic tools
- A system that optimizes the benefits of carotid artery procedures
- Participation in stroke research
In addition, we were honored with the Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and the Get With The Guidelines Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.