Can affect many aspects of your life
Testosterone affects many aspects of men’s health, including sexual function and bone and muscle strength. When levels of this hormone are low, your health and well-being can suffer.
Patients need a prescription for testosterone replacement, supplements are available without prescription. But accurately diagnosing and safely treating low testosterone requires a doctor’s expertise.
Our urologists at the Henry Ford Men’s Health Center use specialized training and advanced techniques to restore testosterone balance. We work with you to determine the most effective treatments and help you feel like yourself again.
What causes low testosterone?
Testosterone levels typically peak in early adulthood. Starting in your 40s, testosterone drops 1 to 2 percent each year. While these small decreases are a natural part of aging, other factors can cause a faster decline, including:
- Heart disease
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Damage to the testicles from injury, chemotherapy or radiation
- Pituitary disorders
Symptoms of low testosterone
It’s a common misconception that low testosterone affects only your sexual health. When your testosterone levels are low, you can experience a range of symptoms including:
- Low libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- Depression or anxiety
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of muscle mass
- Increased body fat
How we treat low testosterone
Treatments that alter your hormones shouldn’t be taken without expert guidance. At the Henry Ford Men’s Health Center, our urologists safely and effectively treat low testosterone.
We perform comprehensive testing to accurately diagnose your testosterone levels. If tests show you need treatment, we know how to successfully manage your symptoms while minimizing side effects.
We offer a variety of low testosterone treatments. Your doctor will help you decide the approach that is best for you. Options include:
- Gels: Testosterone absorbs easily through the skin. This method of dosing is called transdermal (meaning through the skin). You apply a thin layer of gel to an area of clean, dry skin at the same time every day.
- Patches: We give you a testosterone skin patch that slowly releases medication (transdermal dosing). You replace the patch at regular intervals prescribed by your doctor.
- Pellets: We insert testosterone pellets just under the skin of your upper hips or buttocks. The pellets gradually release small amounts of the hormone. You return to the doctor’s office every 3 to 4 months to have the pellets replaced.
- Injections: Testosterone injections are an effective way to raise testosterone levels. We typically give injections every one to two weeks.
Our testosterone replacement treatments can safely and effectively balance your hormones. If you think you may have low testosterone, specialists at the Henry Ford Men’s Health Clinic are here to help.