Video Visits On Demand FAQs
The Henry Ford video visit on demand service should NOT be used for emergencies. In the event of an emergency, call 911.
- What is a Henry Ford video visit on demand?
- What can I be treated for during a video visit?
- What hours are doctors or other providers available?
- How does a Henry Ford video visit on demand work?
- How can I cancel a visit once I put myself in line?
- Do I need to provide photo identification to use this service?
- Will I receive notes or an after-visit summary about my visit?
- Will my diagnosis and information from this visit be shared with my primary care providers after the video visit?
- Can my children be treated through video visits?
- Can I get a prescription filled?
- What type of doctor will I see?
- Where can I do a Henry Ford video visit?
- What is the difference between an e-visit and a video visit?
- How is a Henry Ford video visit on demand different from other virtual services?
- What if I have a follow up question or concern?
Cost and Insurance
- What is the cost?
- How do I pay for my visit?
- Do I need health insurance to participate in a video visit on demand?
- Can I use my HSA/FSA account?
Equipment and Hardware
- What do I need to do to have a video visit?
- What equipment do I need?
- Can I use the MyChart web version for video visit?
- Is my visit private and secure?
- How do I get technical support?
- What if I have technical difficulties when it’s time to begin my video visit?
It is a video visit allowing you to connect with a Henry Ford provider from your camera-enabled tablet, smart phone or computer through your Henry Ford MyChart portal.
Many health conditions can be safely diagnosed and treated online, including:
- Allergies/hay fever
- Cold/cough/flu-like symptoms
- Joint or back pain
- Eye irritation/infection, including pink eye
- Minor cuts and burns
- Rash/skin irritations such as acne, cold sores, herpes or shingles
- Stomach problems such as diarrhea, vomiting, heartburn
- Urinary tract infection
- Vaginal discharge such as a yeast/bacterial infection
If an online diagnosis is not right for you, we will direct you to the care you need.
Weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with service going 24 hours a day, seven days a week in 2020.
- Request or log into your Henry Ford MyChart account.
- Locate the Video Visit On Demand option in the Appointment tab or in the navigation menu and click the option.
- Confirm your location and then choose the condition for which you would like to be seen. You will be provided an estimated wait time for a video visit and given the option to Test Hardware (if using a computer) before proceeding.
- Click “put me in line” and enter additional information on why you would like to be seen. You will be required to click “put me in line” again.
- When you complete the eCheck-In process in MyChart, including pre-payment, you will have the option to “begin video visit.”
To further review these steps, watch this video: Henryford.com/videovisitinstructions.
If you need to cancel, simply click the Cancel button. You will be asked to choose a reason for the cancellation and will need to click the Confirm Cancellation button.
Yes, you will need a valid form of photo identification. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- The photo already loaded in MyChart
- Driver's license
- Military identification
- State issued identification card
8. Will my diagnosis and information from this visit be shared with my primary care providers after the video visit?
Yes. Documentation of your video visit will be added to your electronic medical record and shared with your primary care provider (if they use the Henry Ford Health System Epic electronic medical record.)
Yes, we can treat children 2 years of age and older. If your child is younger than 2, contact your pediatrician or go to an urgent care or emergency room. If your child is under 14 years old, you will have to add your child to your MyChart account using proxy access. Children 14 years or older must have their own Henry Ford MyChart account.
Yes, prescriptions are handled in the same manner as an in-person visit and are delivered electronically to the pharmacy of your choice.
You will see a Henry Ford primary care provider; all providers are a licensed and board-certified physician.
Henry Ford video visits are currently available to eligible patients who are physically be located within the State of Michigan at the time of care because our providers are licensed to practice within the State of Michigan. We can see patients who are residents of any state, but you will need to physically be in Michigan when you begin your video visit.
Video visits offer you the opportunity to speak with a provider in real time using a webcam or mobile device, while e-Visits involve completing an online questionnaire to receive a treatment plan. Both virtual health services are for non-emergent issues and vary in price.
Many other virtual services require you to schedule an appointment. With Henry Ford video visit on demand, no appointment is necessary. Your visit also will be added to your electronic medical record, so your primary care doctor may connect with you seamlessly if follow-up care is necessary.
Log in to your Henry Ford MyChart account and send your provider a secure inbox message.
Cost and Insurance
The promotional price is $29. Payment is required in advance and insurance will not be billed at this time. This would not include any prescription orders or follow up visits. Pre-payment is refunded if we are unable to diagnose and offer a treatment plan, and the provider will assist you in identifying next steps (e.g. urgent care clinic or emergency room).
Be prepared to pay for your visit at the time of the visit. You will need to use a credit card or debit card branded as a major credit care such as Visa, Mastercard, etc. You will be asked to enter your credit/debit card information when you initiate the visit.
No, you will be expected to pre-pay for the service before you are connected with a provider using a major credit card or health savings account or flexible spending account card. These visits are considered a self-pay service. Depending on your insurance coverage, you may be able to submit your receipt for reimbursement. Please call your insurance provider for more information on your specific plan coverage.
Equipment and Hardware
- Active MyChart account
- Mobile device with iOs 8.0+ (iPhone) or Android 4.0+ or computer/laptop with web camera
- If using a mobile device, you’ll need to download the HFHS MyChart Mobile App.
You will need a mobile device or computer with webcam, microphone and speakers to talk with the provider.
- Windows PCs: To connect with a computer, you will need internet access and one of the following web browsers: Google Chrome or Microsoft Internet Explorer. You will be asked to download a web plugin (Vidyo) to support the video software. Microsoft Edge, Safari and Firefox do not work with the video visit software. Video Visits are currently not compatible with Mac PCs.
- Mobile devices: For Apple iOS and Android devices, you will need the MyChart mobile app installed and configured for Henry Ford Health System. The app can be installed from Apple's App Store or the Google Play Store.
Yes, you can use the web version of MyChart. Be sure you have a web camera connected to your desktop or laptop computer and test connectivity to ensure that you have the required web plugin (Vidyo).
Yes, Henry Ford MyChart and all Henry Ford video visits are HIPAA compliant, encrypted for maintaining patient privacy. We also recommend that patients conduct their visits in a quiet and private place.
Technical support is available by calling 800-436-7936 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If a technical problem prevents the video visit from being completed, or if your doctor determines that your problem cannot be addressed through video visit, the fee will be reimbursed.