Frequently Asked Questions About Video Visits On Demand
The Henry Ford Video Visit On Demand service should NOT be used for emergencies. In the event of an emergency, call 911.
- What is a Henry Ford Video Visit On Demand?
- How does a Video Visit On Demand work?
- Will I receive notes or an after-visit summary about my visit?
- Can my children be treated through video visits?
- Where can I do a Henry Ford video visit?
- What is the difference between an e-visit and a video visit?
- How is a Henry Ford Video Visit On Demand different from other virtual services?
- How do I prepare for a scheduled MyChart video visit?
- What if I have a follow up question or concern?
- What is the cost?
- How do I pay for my visit?
- What do I need to do to have a video visit?
- Can I use the MyChart web version for video visit?
- What if I have technical difficulties when it’s time to begin my video visit?
What is a Henry Ford video Visit On Demand?
It is a safe and secure video and audio enabled visit allowing you to connect with a Henry Ford healthcare provider from your tablet, smartphone or video-enabled laptop/computer through your Henry Ford MyChart patient portal.
You will be able to see, hear, and speak to each other and will receive the same level of quality care, security, and professional attention as an in-person appointment.
How does a Video Visit On Demand work?
- Request or log into your Henry Ford MyChart account.
- From the Appointments/Visits menu locate and select the Video Visit On Demand option.
- Confirm your location and then choose the condition for which you would like to be seen.
- Click “put me in line” and enter additional information on why you would like to be seen. You will be required to click “put me in line” again.
- Complete the eCheck-In process in MyChart
- After e-Check-In is complete, a Medical Assistant will be reaching out to confirm the information submitted and help you connect to your video visit.
- Once instructed by the Medical Assistant, click the “begin video visit.”
Mobile Device ONLY: For optimal video viewing quality for you and the doctor, please hold your mobile device horizontally (on its side).
Will I receive notes or an after-visit summary about my visit?
Yes, your after-visit summary will be available through MyChart in your past appointments.
Can my children be treated through video visits?
Yes, we can treat children 1 year of age and older. If your child is younger than 1, contact your pediatrician, go to an urgent care or emergency room, or call the MyCare Advice Line at 313-874-7500 to discuss appropriate next steps. MyCare Advice Line nurses are available 24/7/365.
If your child is under 14 years old, you will have to add your child to your MyChart account using proxy access. Children 14 years or older must have their own Henry Ford MyChart account.
Where can I do a Henry Ford video visit?
Find a quiet, distraction free, well-lit space with a good WiFi connection where you can discuss private matters. Due to state medical license restrictions, providers may not be able to see patients in certain states. MyChart Video Visits are currently available to patients located within the State of Michigan at the time of the visit (provider may be medically licensed in additional states).
What is the difference between an e-visit and a video visit?
Video Visits On Demand offer you the opportunity to speak with a provider in real time from your tablet, smartphone or video-enabled laptop/computer through your Henry Ford MyChart patient portal.
E-Visits involve completing an online questionnaire, submitted to a Henry Ford doctor, via your MyChart Patient Portal to receive a treatment plan.
Both virtual health services are not for emergencies and cost may vary.
How is a Henry Ford Video Visit On Demand different from other virtual services?
With Henry Ford Video Visit On Demand an appointment is not necessary. You will be connected to the next available Henry Ford primary care doctor. Your visit also will be added to your electronic medical record, so your personal primary care doctor may follow-up with you seamlessly if further care is necessary.
How do I prepare for a scheduled MyChart video visit?
- Find a quiet, distraction free, well-lit space with a good WiFi connection where you can discuss private matters
- If you are using the mobile app, make sure your device has the latest updates
- Ensure your device privacy settings allow access to your camera and microphone, and test your camera and microphone are working and volume is up
- Make sure your device is plugged in or fully charged
- Write down or have 313-874-7526 close at hand for troubleshooting support
- Have your photo ID ready along with insurance information
What if I have a follow up question or concern?
Log in to your Henry Ford MyChart account and send your provider a secure message.
Follow up questions and concerns can also be directed to our Medial Assistant support line which sends a message or call to the doctor based on urgency. To reach this line call 313-874-7526.
What is the cost?
Most insurances cover the cost of a video visit, including Medicare and Medicaid. Co-pays, deductibles and co-insurances may apply.
If your insurance does not cover the cost, you will be billed for $49.
How do I pay for my visit?
You will be billed for co-payment, co-insurance or insurance deductibles. These can be paid through Henry Ford online bill pay or have the option to pre-pay.
What do I need to do to have a video visit?
- Active Henry Ford MyChart account (If you do not have a MyChart account, please call 313-874-7526)
- Mobile device (tablet or smartphone) with iOs 11.0+ (iPhone) or Android 7.0+ or computer/laptop with web camera
- Windows PCs: To connect with a computer, you will need internet access and one of the following web browsers: Google Chrome, Safari, Edge, or Firefox.
- Mobile devices: For Apple iOS and Android devices, you will need the MyChart mobile app installed and configured for Henry Ford Health. You’ll then need to download the VidyoConnect App. The apps can be installed from Apple's App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Ensure that your device has a working camera and microphone/speakers
- Reliable WiFi or cellular service
If you have a friend or family member who is more comfortable with technology, consider asking them to help you prepare for your visit.
Can I use the MyChart web version for video visit?
Yes, you can use the web version of MyChart. Be sure you have a web camera connected to your desktop or laptop computer.
What if I have technical difficulties when it’s time to begin my video visit?
If a technical problem prevents the video visit from being completed, or if the doctor determines that your problem cannot be addressed through video visit, the fee will be reimbursed and/or waived.
Below are some common issues:
- My camera or microphone isn’t working, what should I do?
Here are a few troubleshooting steps to try:
- Restart your device
- Check to see if your camera and microphone permissions are set properly
- Check if your microphone is muted
- Check to see if your volume is low
- Check if you are using the correct camera
- Check if your browser or app is up-to-date
- Refresh your web browser
- Try to use another browser
- Check if your antivirus software or firewall is blocking
- For additional information:
- Delete and reinstall your MyChart or VidyoConnect application
- What happens if the connection is slow or disrupted?
- Check your internet connection speed; if your WiFi is slow, consider switching to a wired connection or using cellular data
- Try switching to a different device/browser
- Disconnect and re-connect to video visit
- If the problem is unable to be resolved, a provider may call you on the phone to complete the visit.
- How do I check or update my audio and video permissions?
- To check whether your privacy settings allow apps to access your camera and microphone (NOTE: Exact steps may differ based on the device/version):
- iPhone: Settings > Privacy – Check that Microphone and Camera are turned on.
- Android: System > Apps & Notifications > App Permissions – Check that Microphone and Camera are turned on for app
- Windows: Settings > Privacy > Toggle Microphone & Camera to On
- Mac/OSx: System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Camera / Microphone –Click checkbox to allow permissions
Further technical support is available 24/7 by calling 313-874-7526