Bariatric Surgery Eligibility Guidelines
Bariatric surgery is safe and can mean long-term weight loss success.
The decision to have weight loss — or bariatric — surgery is an important one. We understand surgery may not be right for everyone. The experienced bariatric surgery team at Henry Ford is ready to join you along your weight loss journey to find the right solution for you.
Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?
We follow the National Institutes of Health guidelines to help determine each patient's eligibility for bariatric surgery. This approach helps make surgeries safer more successful over time.
You may be a candidate if you meet these criteria:
- Your body mass index (BMI) is over 40 (approximately 100+ pounds overweight)
- Your BMI is 35 to 40 and you have at least one obesity-related medical condition:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Reflux disease
- Sleep apnea
- You’ve tried to lose weight with diet and exercise without long-term success
- You are committed to lifelong lifestyle changes
- You are committed to long-term follow-up medical care
What other factors will affect my weight loss success?
Bariatric surgery can dramatically improve your health and quality of life, but it requires a serious commitment to lifestyle changes to be successful. Additional factors for long-term success include:
- Your acceptance of lifestyle changes
- Your other medical conditions
- Your participation in therapy
- Your support system
Based on this information, you and your surgeon will decide if surgery is the best option and which surgery is right for you.
Will my insurance cover my surgery?
Insurance coverage for bariatric surgery varies by patient, employer, or insurance company. Weight loss surgery is considered a special category by most insurance companies. Contact yours to find out if you are eligible and the details on their authorization process.
Our team is happy to help however we can. Give us a call today at (866) 326-6790 to discuss your options.