Published by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), these videos explain weight loss surgery.
A healthy new you is waiting.
When more traditional attempts at weight loss have not resulted in long-term success, bariatric surgery, or weight-loss surgery, can be an option.
Bariatric surgery is a way to change the amount of food your stomach can hold and/or the way your body absorbs calories and nutrition, resulting in weight loss. There are a number of different ways to perform the surgery. Almost all procedures are done laparoscopically, a technique that minimizes incision size and reduces recovery time and discomfort. Your surgeon will help you decide which procedure is right for you.
Our surgeons have performed thousands of procedures and work with a team of healthcare professionals to support you along your weight-loss journey, from deciding to have surgery to preparing for surgery and adjusting to a new way of life and health after surgery. The team includes:
- Intake Coordinators who help with scheduling, insurance verification and questions along the way
- Experienced surgeons
- Devoted bariatric surgery nurses
- Registered dietitians who specialize in bariatric surgery patients
- Psychologists trained to provide guidance to bariatric surgery patients
- Dedicated bariatric surgery inpatient unit
- Exercise team focused on the severely obese - a component unique to our program
The benefits of weight loss surgery
Bariatric surgery can safely manage or resolve a variety of health conditions and symptoms, including:
- Arthritis and mobility issues
- Depression, anxiety and self-esteem issues
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol and lipid levels
- Infertility issues
- Sleep apnea and other sleep issues
- Urinary/bladder incontinence
High standards you can trust
The Henry Ford Bariatric Surgery Center is accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), a part of the American College of Surgeons. Our program achieved accreditation by undergoing an independent, voluntary, and rigorous peer evaluation in accordance with nationally recognized bariatric surgical standards. Bariatric surgery accreditation not only promotes uniform standard benchmarks, but also supports continuous quality improvement.