Setting out on a dream vacation doesn’t protect you from illness. In fact, travel may stir up stress and anxiety and expose you to countless germs.
Only a small percentage of people get infections such as Zika or malaria while traveling. The bigger threats are accidents, injuries and chronic illness issues. To stay safe and dramatically reduce your chances of illness, follow these guidelines.
Before you go:
- Plan in advance. Don’t wait until the week before your trip to see your physician.
- Purchase travel insurance to give you peace of mind.
- Stow medications in your carry-on bag.
While you’re there:
- Wash your hands frequently. Hand sanitizers are not a replacement for soap and water.
- Watch what you eat. Steer clear of street vendors, raw foods, long buffet tables and unsealed beverages.
- Wear SPF 50 and apply frequently.
To find a doctor and schedule a travel consult with the Henry Ford Travel Health Clinic, call (248) 344-0723.