On April 8, maternal and fetal medicine specialist Dr. Gregory Goyert answered your questions about pregnancy during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Preparing for Labor and Delivery
Henry Ford Women's Health Services' Obstetrics team follows and cares for each pregnant woman closely during pregnancy to help plan for a safe, healthy labor and delivery experience. A woman's checklist for preparing for labor and delivery includes:
- Understanding the types of pain control methods available for labor and delivery
- Understanding the types of childbirth, such as vaginal birth, breech birth, cesarean birth (C-section), or vaginal birth after a prior cesarean section (VBAC)
- Knowing what to expect during a C-section
- Knowing what to do in case of emergency delivery outside the hospital
- Attending classes on labor and delivery preparation and caring for newborns
- Choosing a labor coach, whether a family member or friend
- Talking with the obstetrician and/or certified nurse midwife about all of these important plans
Henry Ford obstetricians and certified nurse midwives provide in-hospital deliveries for the ultimate safety and highest quality medical care for new mothers and newborns. Women and families enjoy the privacy of the birthing experience in comfortable, private rooms. Newborns, when not right next to the new mom, receive the highest level of safety and care at Henry Ford.