Heart Healthy Living
At Henry Ford, we make it easy for you to live a heart healthy lifestyle. We offer comprehensive programs and tools to help you know your heart disease risks and how to manage them.
Heart disease prevention in southeast Michigan
Taking care of your heart can help reduce your risk for life threatening complications such as stroke. Our heart disease prevention programs include:
- Heart Disease Screenings
- Heart Smart® Cookbooks
- Prevention Thru Exercise and Education (PREVENT) Program
- Weight Management Program
Heart disease screenings
Age, health status, family history and lifestyle choices can put some people at higher risk for heart disease. Our Heart Smart® Screening Program can help you find out if you are one of them. Using a comprehensive seven-point exam, our team of experts identifies heart disease in its early stages.
Heart Smart® Screenings include:
- Comprehensive risk assessment: Using a detailed questionnaire, our cardiologists look at your lifestyle and overall health to determine your heart disease risks.
- 12-Lead electrocardiogram (ECG) Test: This test measures the electrical activity of your heart.
- Blood pressure screening: Find out if your blood pressure is within a heart-healthy range.
- Body mass index (BMI) test: Looking at your height and weight, we determine whether your body fat levels are in a heart-healthy range.
- Carotid intima-media thickness test: We look for early signs of vascular disease by examining the two major arteries in your neck (available at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital).
- Carotid and peripheral arterial disease screening: Examines your neck, arms and legs for signs of vascular blockages (available at Henry Ford Macomb Hospital).
- Lipid profile test: Learn if your cholesterol levels are within a heart-healthy range.
Learn more about your heart disease risks by scheduling your heart screening.
Heart Smart® cookbooks
Written by Darlene Zimmerman and our team of heart and vascular experts, the Heart Smart® Cookbook series shows you how to prepare foods that are not only good for you but also delicious. Using the latest medical and nutritional research, we provide real-life tools to help you make heart-healthy lifestyle changes.
We help you learn how to prepare a simple eating plan that can lower your risk of heart disease. Our latest edition, Heart Smart® III includes:
- 200 new recipes for healthy snacks, meals, desserts and more
- Links to informational videos
- Information on meal planning, dining out and reading food labels
- Health and fitness tips
This popular cookbook series has already sold more than 100,000 copies. Order your Heart Smart® Cookbook.
Prevention thru exercise and education (PREVENT) program
An active lifestyle that includes regular exercise can strengthen your heart and cardiovascular system. If you’ve never exercised, or you are worried about exercising with a heart condition, we’re here to help. The PREVENT program offers personalized exercise programs in a safe and supportive environment.
The PREVENT Program includes:
- A personal fitness assessment by one of our exercise physiologists
- An individualized exercise program
- Access to group exercise classes (chair aerobics, yoga, etc.) and nutrition classes
- Education on ways to make healthy lifestyle changes
At Henry Ford, we know that starting a new exercise program can be challenging. That’s why our experts are always on hand, offering encouragement and support. We also provide monthly summaries of your blood pressure and weight loss progress. We also encourage you to participate in membership challenges and contests.
Learn more about how the Henry Ford PREVENT program can help you manage your health by calling 313-972-1919.
Weight management program
Living an active lifestyle and eating the right foods can help you maintain a heart healthy weight. Our weight management program can help you learn how to break old habits that may be getting in your way. Our weight management specialists work one on one with you to develop a program tailored to meet your needs and goals.
The Henry Ford Weight Management program includes:
- Nutrition guidance from registered dietitians
- A personalized exercise plan
- Online support programs
- Long-term maintenance strategies
Successful weight management doesn’t happen overnight. When you join the Henry Ford Weight Management Program, expect to make at least a four-month commitment. This way, we can help you set realistic goals. Before enrolling in the program, you will need a signed referral from your doctor.
Learn more about all of the weight loss options at Henry Ford. For more information, contact us at 1-313-972-1919.