Heart Healthy Moms
If you experience blood pressure-related conditions during pregnancy, you are at increased risk of developing complications from high blood pressure after birth — especially during the first year after delivery. Henry Ford Health created Heart Healthy Moms, a unique, yearlong program to help you manage your blood pressure and continue important self-care after you leave the hospital.
We’ve made it easy to participate in Heart Healthy Moms with:
- Comprehensive care: You get a referral to the program when you are discharged from the hospital. You have your first check-in within a week of giving birth and undergo regular monitoring for 12 months.
- Convenient technology: We provide the Care Companion mobile app and wireless blood pressure monitor so you can record your blood pressure for the first three months after delivery. You can do most check-ins via phone or video.
- Expert attention: Physicians and nurses review your blood pressure, blood pressure medication and high blood pressure symptoms to help manage postpartum blood pressure — which can lead to postpartum heart failure, heart attack and stroke. This personal attention helps you get the care you need when you need it.
How We Manage Your Blood Pressure After Delivery
Heart Healthy Moms features this easy-to-follow timeline of care to help prevent complications from high blood pressure:
- Weeks 1, 2 and 3: Connect weekly via telephone with our dedicated heart care nurse, who reviews your symptoms and adjusts medication as needed.
- Week 4: Check in with your heart specialist during a video visit.
- Weeks 6, 8 and 10: Your heart care nurse conducts biweekly telephone visits to review symptoms and adjust medication.
- Week 12: Meet in person with an internal medicine specialist to discuss your general health and wellness.
- Month 6: Check in with your cardiologists during a video visit.
- Month 12: Your last Heart Healthy Moms appointment is an in-person visit with your internal medicine specialist. This visit concludes the program. But we encourage you to continue to use your care team — they are your lifelong resource to help you manage your health and well-being.
If you are pregnant and experiencing high blood pressure, ask your doctor for a referral to Heart Healthy Moms or contact us at one of our locations to determine if you qualify for the program:
- Henry Ford Medical Center - Second Avenue
6525 Second Ave.
Detroit, MI 48202
- Henry Ford Medical Center - Sterling Heights
3500 15 Mile Road
Sterling Heights, MI 48310