Heart Healthy Moms
If you had high blood pressure or other blood pressure problems during pregnancy, the team at Henry Ford Health is here to help you stay healthy after you give birth.
Our Heart Healthy Moms program focuses on managing postpartum high blood pressure for women who experience blood pressure-related disorders during pregnancy. The program begins the first week you go home with your newborn and continues for one year — a crucial time for managing blood pressure.
We aim to decrease complications that can lead to hospital readmission for high blood pressure after pregnancy. Together, we help keep you safe and healthy so you can focus on your new family.
Managing postpartum high blood pressure: Why choose us?
It’s important to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your newborn. When left untreated, high blood pressure can lead to life-threatening complications like heart attack or stroke. But with the right team by your side, you can manage high blood pressure for healthier outcomes.
The Heart Healthy Moms program is exclusive to Henry Ford. We designed it to combine:
- Expertise: The program establishes important relationships with a heart specialist and internal medicine specialist to connect you with a lifetime of heart health.
- Technology: You use the Care Companion app (part of MyChart) and a remote wireless blood pressure monitor to record your symptoms for our team to review. Care Companion also alerts you when it’s time to take medication or if you need to report to the emergency department to address severe symptoms.
- Ease of use: Most check-ins are telephone or video visits, saving you the time, expense and effort of managing the child care and transportation required for in-person appointments.
- 12 months of care: 1 in 3 pregnancy-related deaths occur within a year after delivery. We offer consistent, yearlong management from a team of doctors and nurses working together to give you a healthy start with your baby. Learn more about What to Expect.
Blood pressure conditions we treat
Heart Healthy Moms is designed to manage high blood pressure after pregnancy, including postpartum preeclampsia. We enroll women who experience high blood pressure disorders during pregnancy, including:
- Chronic hypertension: High blood pressure occurs before 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Gestational hypertension: High blood pressure occurs after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Preeclampsia: High blood pressure and signs of organ damage occur after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Eclampsia: Preeclampsia can lead to seizures and coma.
- Chronic hypertension with superimposed preeclampsia: High blood pressure occurs before 20 weeks of pregnancy and starts to affect organs after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
If you are pregnant and experiencing high blood pressure, ask your doctor for a referral to Heart Healthy Moms or contact us at one of our locations to determine if you qualify for the program:
- Henry Ford Medical Center - Second Avenue
6525 Second Ave.
Detroit, MI 48202
- Henry Ford Medical Center - Sterling Heights
3500 15 Mile Road
Sterling Heights, MI 48310