Women's Heart Center
When it comes to your heart care, don’t settle for a “one size fits all” approach. The team at the Women’s Heart Center is devoted to diagnosing and treating women’s heart disease. Whether you’re a young adult, expecting a baby or going through menopause, you’ll find the care you need for your heart throughout your life.
Women’s Heart Center at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
Women differ from men in many ways, including their risk factors for heart disease and symptoms of heart attack. We help you learn about the warning signs of heart disease in women and manage the full range of heart conditions.
When you come to Henry Ford Health, you receive care that is:
- Expert: Our team includes heart specialists in coronary artery disease, adult congenital heart disease, structural heart disease, vascular disease, heart failure and heart transplant. We work together to diagnose and treat women’s heart disease with care and compassion, guiding you through every stage of life. Meet our team.
- Advanced: Minimally invasive testing and surgical procedures enable doctors to diagnose and treat heart conditions with precision. That means less downtime for you, so you can heal faster and get back to what’s important to you.
- Specialized: We care for moms with heart disease before, during and after pregnancy. Henry Ford is leading the way in cardio-obstetrics, helping moms with heart disease stay healthy during pregnancy.
Cardio-obstetrics at Henry Ford
Women who have a heart condition or develop high blood pressure during pregnancy find the full spectrum of expert care at Henry Ford. Learn more about our dedicated cardio-obstetrics care and how we can help you.
Heart Healthy Moms Program at Henry Ford.
If you had blood pressure problems during pregnancy, Henry Ford is here to help you stay healthy after you give birth. Find out about our Heart Healthy Moms program, exclusive to Henry Ford.
Women’s heart disease: risk factors
Women and men share common risk factors for heart disease. These include:
- Family history of heart disease
- Conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and calcium buildup in your arteries
But women also need to consider gynecological history. You are at increased risk if you have experienced:
- Fertility treatments
- Pregnancy-related high blood pressure disorders
- Pre-term delivery before 36 weeks of pregnancy
- Birth of a low birth weight baby
- Gestational diabetes (high blood sugar levels during pregnancy)
- Many ovarian cysts
Take the Get Heart Smart quiz
Learn about your specific risk factors for heart disease. Get recipes and tips to lead a healthy lifestyle. Our Get Heart Smart quiz takes just a few minutes!
Heart attack symptoms in women
Tightness or squeezing in the chest is a common sign of a heart attack, especially for men. Women often have additional symptoms. You may not recognize these symptoms as signs of a heart attack and may attribute them to something else. Listen to your body and seek medical attention right away if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Chest pressure
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Abdominal (belly) pain
- Back pain
Call to make an appointment with a women’s heart care specialist at one of our locations:
- Henry Ford Medical Center - Second Avenue
6525 Second Ave.
Detroit, MI 48202
- Henry Ford Medical Center - Sterling Heights
3500 15 Mile Road
Sterling Heights, MI 48310