Education and Support
If you have a gastrointestinal disorder, you want relief from your symptoms and safe, effective treatment for the condition. At Henry Ford Health, we offer advanced diagnostic procedures and treatment options that are not widely available at other hospitals.
Our team is dedicated to helping you achieve your best possible health for the long term. We provide patient education and support that you can use throughout your treatment and beyond.
Healthy eating for esophageal disorders
Esophageal disorders affect the esophagus, the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach. In addition to our high-quality treatment options, we help you make lifestyle changes that can help relieve your symptoms.
Our registered dietitians work with you to understand your lifestyle and food preferences. We help you understand how healthy food choices can relieve symptoms and improve your overall health.
For people with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Barrett’s esophagus or other esophageal disorders, our dietitians help you develop healthy eating habits including:
- Eating three meals per day
- Avoiding snacking
- Abstaining from fatty foods
- Abstaining from caffeinated, carbonated and alcoholic drinks
Henry Ford: Support for healthy lifestyle changes
You can count on the specialists at Henry Ford to support you with lifestyle adjustments that can improve your quality of life. We may recommend one or more of the following:
- Getting regular physical activity
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Raising the head of your bed by 6 to 8 inches
- Not lying down for at least 3 hours after eating
- Avoiding tight-fitting clothes that can press on the stomach, forcing acid backflow into the esophagus
- Avoiding tobacco