Center for Comprehensive MS Care
We understand the fear and worry that comes with diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS). Our team of dedicated specialists can help. Our program brings together all the expertise and care you need in one location.
Henry Ford Health was the first Center for Comprehensive MS Care in Michigan. This designation means you have access to more of the multiple sclerosis treatments, support and specialist services you need in one program. We offer care options that are not widely available, including clinical trials. And our monthly multidisciplinary MS clinic helps eligible patients see multiple specialists in one visit.
Multiple sclerosis care at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
You receive care from neurologists who completed additional fellowship training in MS. Our team also includes nurses, social workers and therapists with experience caring for MS patients. We work together to deliver appropriate care and the support you need to live as independently as possible.
Highlights of our program include:
- Advanced MS treatments: If your symptoms do not respond to standard therapies, you still have options, including the latest MS medications. Our experience helps us determine which one is best for your needs. For abnormally tight muscles (spasticity), we help you get relief with Botox® injections or baclofen pump therapy.
- Team approach: You benefit from the recommendations of multiple specialists who work together to coordinate your care. The team include neuro-ophthalmologists, gastroenterologists, pain medicine specialists and more. They are in regular communication making it easier to personalized care even if your needs change.
- Innovation: Our experts lead research that’s helping us learn more about MS. We are exploring why some patients experience more severe forms of the disease and the factors that allow it to progress. Our efforts also include national and international clinical trials testing new MS treatments. Find out more about neurodegenerative diseases research and innovation.
- Convenience: At our monthly multidisciplinary MS clinic, you see doctors who specialize in MS, physical therapists and occupational therapists in one visit. Other providers include our wheelchair seating specialist and nurse coordinator. If you need specialist care or additional resources, we coordinate appointments so you have fewer details to keep track of.
- Virtual care options: You may be able to receive some of your care from the comfort of home. Established patients (ones who have completed their initial consultation) are eligible. Find out more about virtual care for neurologic conditions.
Comprehensive MS evaluation
We take time to get to know you, including your health goals and how multiple sclerosis symptoms affect your life. We then perform a thorough evaluation to confirm your diagnosis, including the specific type of MS. Our expertise and careful attention during this process helps you receive appropriate care.
Comprehensive MS evaluation at Henry Ford includes:
- Medical record review and history: If you have undergone previous MS testing or treatments, we review your medical records. We also ask about the medications you are taking and other health conditions you may have.
- Imaging studies: If necessary, we perform brain scans. Radiologists specializing in brain disorders (neuroradiologists) interpret the results.
- Additional tests: A lumbar puncture enables us to evaluate spinal fluid for signs of MS. We may also recommend nerve studies in our electromyography (EMG) lab.
Support from our nurse coordinator
You have the full support of our team from the very beginning. Our dedicated MS nurse coordinator helps you navigate medical, personal and practical challenges of living with MS by:
- Coordinating insurance approvals for MS specialty medications
- Educating you and your loved ones about MS testing and treatment
- Explaining how treatments work and how to give yourself injections, if necessary
- Assisting you in applying for insurance or disability benefits
- Providing emotional support
- Helping you access additional resources available through the National MS Society, including support groups
Specialized care for complications of MS
Our team works with other Henry Ford specialists to prevent and treat common MS complications. Some specialties are only available in comprehensive programs, such as ours.
Our extended team includes:
- Behavioral health specialists to help you cope with anxiety or depression. Explore our mental health services.
- Neuro-ophthalmologists (doctors specializing in eye issues due to nerve problems), to treat blurry vision and temporary blindness. Find out more about neuro-ophthalmology.
- Pain medicine specialists deliver advanced therapies for stubborn pain. Get more information about pain management.
- Sleep medicine doctors to help you get a good night’s rest, even if MS symptoms make it difficult to relax. Read more about our sleep disorders center.
- Urologists and gastroenterologists help you get relief from bladder and bowel problems. Get more information about urology and digestive disorders.
MS and pregnancy
MS medications can be harmful to an unborn child. But this doesn’t mean you have to put your plans for starting a family on hold. If you are a woman who wants to become pregnant, we help you plan for your future.
- Before getting pregnant: We discuss when it’s best to go off MS medications and what to expect. Most women with MS who become pregnant experience less severe symptoms during pregnancy.
- After having your baby: If you wish to breastfeed, you will need to wait to resume MS medications. If MS symptoms are getting in the way of daily life, you may wish to go back on medications and not breastfeed. We help you navigate these decisions and make the choices that are right for you.