A variety of problems can cause your liver to fail, such as viruses, medication overdoses, alcohol and inherited diseases. If other treatments do not help, you may need a liver transplant.
The Henry Ford Transplant Institute is home to the largest liver transplant program in Michigan. With decades of experience, our highly skilled liver transplant team provides you with more options, with better results and personal attention to your needs.
Why choose Henry Ford for a liver transplant?
When you come to Henry Ford for a liver transplant, you benefit from:
- Depth of experience: Our surgeons perform more adult liver transplants than any other center in Michigan. This high volume gives us exceptional expertise. Our liver transplant team works closely with specialists from our award-winning Division of Gastroenterology and Liver Disease Center. Our Liver Disease Center is one of the nation’s largest, with decades of experience.
- Comprehensive program: Your odds of receiving a liver are better at Henry Ford. We are the state’s leader in living donor liver transplants. We also perform split-liver transplants, with a deceased donor organ divided between 2 recipients. When needed, we can transplant other organs, too. We performed Michigan’s first liver-heart and liver-lung transplants and also provide intestinal transplants. Learn more about intestine transplant types.
- Excellent success rates: We have the best 1-year survival rates for transplanted livers in Michigan. Learn more about our liver transplant outcomes.
- Minimally invasive approaches: We realize it is hard to ask someone for a donated section of liver. We make the request easier by using a much smaller incision for living donors.
- Personalized care: We host monthly support groups and connect you with a liver transplant coordinator who guides you through every step of the process. View our transplant patient stories to hear our grateful patients talk about their experiences at Henry Ford.
- Nationally renowned research: Our clinical trials and research for liver transplants allow you to try new therapies. These therapies may prevent the disease from returning or reduce the risks of infection and organ rejection following transplantation.
- Convenience: Our liver transplant clinics throughout Michigan make it easier to receive medical care before and after transplant surgery.
Faster transplants at Henry Ford
The less time you wait for a transplant, the greater your chance of success. To speed the process, Henry Ford offers a FAST Track program. Our liver transplant team can complete all of your required medical tests and psychological assessments in 1 to 2 days. We receive your test results back quickly, so we can place you on the national transplant waitlist as soon as possible.
Pediatric liver transplants
Our team partners with the pediatric liver transplant program at Children’s Hospital of Michigan. When these younger patients reach adulthood, they can continue their transplant care at Henry Ford. Learn more about the Transplant Center at Children’s.