This 2 hour breastfeeding class provides women and partners with the basic breastfeeding information. Classes are taught by an International Board...
Certain respiratory disorders make it difficult for your lungs to do their job. A lung transplant performed at the Henry Ford Transplant Institute can help you breathe easier and enjoy a better quality of life. Many recipients lead active, normal lives after transplantation.
We have been a state leader in lung transplants since performing the first procedure in Detroit, in 1994. In addition to our expertise, we provide support at every step along the way.
Why choose Henry Ford for a lung transplant?
When you come to Henry Ford for a lung transplant you benefit from:
- Specialized lung care: Your lung transplant team works closely with experts from our nationally renowned Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. This combined team creates a care plan tailored to your specific needs.
- Comprehensive program: Not only can we replace a single lung, we are the only center in Detroit routinely offering double transplants to patients 60 and younger. These surgeries can relieve conditions such as cystic fibrosis that affect both lungs. We also provide options if you need additional organs, such as a liver or heart. And, if needed, we can replace a heart valve or perform coronary artery bypass at the same time as your transplant.
- Treatment for high-risk patients: Other centers may decline your transplant request because of your weight or advanced age. While still prioritizing safety, Henry Ford doctors approach the criteria differently. We can perform lung transplants up to age 70, with a maximum body mass index (BMI) of 35. Check out our transplant patient stories to hear what our patients say about their experiences at Henry Ford.
- Cutting-edge research: As a major research institution, we offer patients the opportunity to participate in clinical trials and research for lung transplants. You also can try new therapies for lung disease that may delay the need for a transplant.
- Personalized care: We host monthly support groups and pair you with a lung transplant coordinator. This nurse guides you through every step of the transplant process. Staff at Guest Services can also help you and your loved ones with travel and lodging. Learn more about our resources.
- Care closer to home: Our lung transplant clinics throughout Michigan make it easier for you to receive medical care before and after your transplant.
Minimally invasive lung transplants
Other centers may open up your chest. But our surgeons perform lung transplants through small 4-inch incisions on the side of your chest. A single-lung transplant requires two incisions, while a double-lung transplant requires four. Benefits of smaller surgical incisions include:
- Less scarring
- Reduced pain after surgery
- Lower risk of infection
- Quicker return to an active life
Faster transplants at Henry Ford
Your chance for a successful transplant is better when you receive the surgery before your health becomes much worse. With FAST Track, our lung transplant team completes all of your required medical tests and psychological assessments within a couple of days.
We receive your test results back quickly to place you on the national transplant waitlist as soon as possible. Your transplant coordinator will assist you with the FAST Track process.