Join Detroit Opera elite studio performers as they bring special opera and dance presentations into the hearts and homes of the Henry Ford...
Expert Kidney Cancer Care
The Midwest’s most experienced robotic kidney cancer surgeons.
When you’re diagnosed with kidney cancer, you want the most experienced specialists on your care team. At the Henry Ford Cancer Institute, our team has performed more than 4,000 renal surgeries and pioneered a kidney-sparing surgical procedure, called robotic partial nephrectomy. We’ve also developed innovative techniques to preserve kidney function during surgery and to shorten your hospital stay.
Our team treats more than 250 patients each year for kidney cancer and other cancers that can develop in the renal system. As our patient, you can expect:
- A personalized treatment plan based on your needs and a thorough review of your diagnosis by our tumor board
- A team of kidney cancer specialists – urologists, surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and pathologists – working together for you
- Minimally invasive robotic surgical options to save the kidney and preserve kidney function
- A dedicated kidney cancer nurse navigator to support you throughout your care and assist with appointment scheduling
Your kidney cancer treatment plan
Our kidney cancer care team will create a personalized treatment plan based on your cancer diagnosis, your health needs, and your concerns. We use the most advanced surgery techniques, including kidney-saving surgery whenever possible, to offer you the best outcome.
Your treatment may include:
- Minimally invasive robot-assisted surgery, including robotic partial nephrectomy, which removes the cancer while preserving the normal and unaffected portion of the kidney
- Cryoablation, a nonsurgical treatment that freezes and destroys small kidney tumors
- Traditional open surgery, which is needed in rare cases where tumors are large, complex, or invasive
- Advanced chemotherapy treatments to help shrink kidney cancer tumors that have spread (metastasized) to other areas of the body
- Clinical trials
Our team, led by Dr. Craig Rogers, continuously works to develop new treatment options, for even the most advanced kidney cancers. Dr. Rogers also leads our von Hippel-Lindau (VHL) clinic, which brings together experts from more than a dozen specialties to help patients navigate this complex, hereditary cancer syndrome. We have been recognized as a VHL Clinical Care Center by the VHL Alliance.
We also performed a world-first procedure for metastatic kidney cancer. The procedure involved suctioning a kidney cancer tumor from a patient’s vena cava (a vein that carries blood into the heart), followed by minimally invasive surgery to remove the kidney. The patient then participated in a clinical trial that involved using genetic material from the tumor to produce a vaccine to fight the disease.
Join us the second week of each month virtually to address the unique experiences stem cell therapy and transplant candidates face. The group...
Listening to music has been proven to manage pain, reduce anxiety and depression and improve recovery. If you've been touched by cancer, join the...
Hosted by Art Therapist Calli Perry, join us weekly for free open studio sessions and spend some you-time having fun and being creative! Bring your...
Study Shows Promising Safety, Patient Outcomes Data for MRI-Guided Adaptive Radiation Therapy to Treat Pancreatic Cancer
DETROIT (Nov. 21, 2022) – Findings from a recent prospective study show promising safety and patient outcomes data for locally advanced and...
First-of-its-kind Galleri® Multi-Cancer Early Detection blood test can screen for multiple cancers through a single blood draw. DETROIT and...
Henry Ford Hospital Earns Prestigious Recognition from National Accreditation Program for Rectal Cancer
One of only 69 hospitals across the country to earn this quality accreditation. DETROIT (Oct. 20, 2022) – Henry Ford Hospital has earned a...
Henry Ford Health + MSU Health Sciences Funds Five Cancer Research Grants to Advance Cancer Medicine, Combat Health Disparities
The grants of up to $100,000 each follow the partnership’s recent funding of 18 pilot grants. DETROIT (August 23, 2022) – Henry Ford...