Use these strategies to ensure you’re receiving the highest quality care — and staying on top of health concerns.
Transgender Health Services
Henry Ford is among the few programs in Michigan delivering comprehensive care to transgender individuals. You receive services from providers who care about you as a person. You also have access to an experienced team of specialists who help you achieve your gender transition goals.
Who are our trans health services for?
Our services are for any transgender individual. Whether you have already transitioned to your preferred gender identity or your journey has just begun, we are here for you.
- Non-binary individuals: People who do not identify as male or female
- Transwomen: Individuals transitioning from male to female
- Transmen: Individuals transitioning from female to male
Transgender health at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
We deliver services in a supportive, welcoming environment. Specialists take extra steps to ensure you feel safe, comfortable and cared for. We start by getting to know you and your care needs. This information helps us coordinate the therapies and support that are right for you.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise: Henry Ford is home to specialists with experience and a passion for helping transmen, transwomen and non-binary individuals achieve their health goals. Some of them, including our surgeons, completed additional training in gender-affirming procedures. Meet our team.
- Coordination: All of our specialists are in regular communication, making it easier to personalize your care. This approach also means you don’t have to worry about the small details of your care.
- Primary care: Being your most authentic self starts with optimizing your well-being. Our primary care physicians treat common health conditions and deliver preventive services. If you are sexually active, you may receive therapies to lower your risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), such as HIV.
- Gender transition services: You have access to more of the services you need in one program. Our team includes surgeons and other providers who help you safely transition to your preferred gender identity. We offer options, such as facial feminization surgery, that are not widely available in Michigan.
- Support: Gender transition often comes with complex emotions and unique challenges. We lend a caring ear and provide the support you deserve. Trusted mental health professionals offer guidance and encouragement. They also help you navigate practical matters, such as changing your name on government-issued documents.
Our trans health services
Services we offer include:
Nonsurgical gender-affirming therapies
- Cosmetic dermatology, injections, fillers and other therapies to enhance feminine or masculine features
- Gender-affirming hormone therapy, lifelong treatment with hormones to help you establish physical features that are more feminine or masculine
- Voice therapy to help you sound and communicate in a way that’s consistent with your preferred gender identity
- Laser hair removal, plastic surgeons or dermatologists remove unwanted hair from anywhere on your body during an in-office procedure
Surgical options include:
- Facial feminization surgery to give you feminine facial features
- Female-to-male top surgery to create a more masculine-looking chest
- Male-to-female top surgery to help transwomen achieve a fuller bust
Other helpful services for transmen and transwomen include:
- Fertility preservation to take tissue that preserves your ability to conceive
- Preparation procedures for gender-affirming surgery, such as:
- Hysterectomy to remove internal female reproductive organs (uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes)
- Orchiectomy to remove testicles
- Sexual health services to prevent and treat STIs
- Primary care for adults and children
Are transgender health services covered by insurance?
Insurance is covering a growing number of trans health services, including select gender-affirming therapies. Find out more about insurance plans we accept.
The best way to learn about your coverage is by calling your insurance company. We can help. And if an authorization or appeal is necessary, we take care of it for you.