Gender-affirming surgery can be one step along your journey of transitioning to help you feel your best. Here, two experts answer questions people ask before deciding upon surgery.
LGBTQ+ Health: Excellent Care For All
Henry Ford Health is committed to providing safe, equitable care for all and supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer patients with their healthcare needs.
Find a doctor with an LGBTQ+ designation
While any of our physicians can treat LGBTQ+ patients, some doctors have been designated according to certain criteria. Doctors with the LGBTQ+ designation:
- Have completed additional training to understand the foundational elements of caring for LGBTQ+ patients
- Know how to document SOGI information in the electronic medical record
- Have cared for LGBTQ+ patients or were trained in a clinical setting with LGBTQ+ patients
- A community clinic in the Ruth Ellis Center that provides trauma-informed services for LGBTQ+ youth and young adults.
- Inclusive Primary Care and Specialty Services, including HIV treatment and HIV prevention.
- Transgender health services and surgical expertise.
- Accessible care at all Henry Ford hospitals.
- Hospital visitation policies that grant equal visitation to LGBTQ+ patients and their families.
- Availability of all gender restrooms in all of our care facilities.
- Provider and employee training on LGBTQ+ patient-centered care and unconscious bias.
- Equal benefits for married LGBTQ+ team members and their partner.
- An Employee Resource Group (ERG) called PRIDE, which strengthens our health system’s workforce talent through recruitment of LGBTQ+ employees.
LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality Leader
Our commitment to supporting the LGBTQ+ community has earned us recognition as an “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leader” by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC).
The HRC designation was awarded based on the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI), the national LGBTQ+ benchmarking tool that evaluates healthcare facilities' policies and practices related to the equity and inclusion of LGBTQ+ patients, visitors and employees.
It's important to raise awareness of LGBTQ+ health disparities and concerns not just during Pride month, but year-round.
The words sex and gender are sometimes used interchangeably, but they aren't the same. A doctor explains the difference, and why it's important to know.
Parenting a transgender teen can be difficult at first. Use these tips to support your teen in the midst of a gender transition.
Voice is an important part of who we are. It’s the instrument through which we communicate and express ourselves — including how we...
All Henry Ford Health hospitals earned a rating of 100 on the latest Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index DETROIT (April 20, 2022)...
Health disparities initiatives also bring AHA recognition.
Virtual event seeks minority-, women-, veteran and LGBTQ- owned vendors and suppliers from Macomb, St. Clair & Lapeer counties
Henry Ford Health System Earns #4 Spot on DiversityInc's 2019 List of Top Hospitals and Health Systems that Excel at Diversity and Inclusion