Male-to-Female (MTF) Top Surgery
More transwomen are putting their trust in Henry Ford for male-to-female surgery, like top surgery. We offer the expertise, compassion and support you need to achieve your goals. Our team has been performing these procedures for years and has earned a reputation for exceptional care.
What is top surgery?
Top surgery creates a more feminine-looking chest in transwomen. This male-to-female (MTF) surgery may include one or more procedures that we typically perform in the same operation.
MTF top surgery at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
A highly skilled plastic surgeon with decades of experience performs your procedures. Our program uses research-based methods, so you can count on us to offer the latest options. And we have a depth of experience in safely treating transwomen with medical issues, like heart disease, or obesity.
Additional highlights of our program include:
- Personalized care: Transwomen often come to us knowing precisely what they’d like to get out of top surgery. If you are not sure, we take time to learn about your preferences and recommend appropriate options. We always explain risks, benefits and what to expect, to help ensure you have a good experience.
- Support: Undergoing male-to-female surgery can be exciting, but it may also cause anxiety and stress. We’ve treated many patients and do our best to make the process easier on you. Our experts take time to answer questions and ease your concerns. And you are welcome to bring loved ones with you to appointments.
- Same-day discharge: MTF top surgery is an outpatient procedure meaning you go home the same day. Immediately after surgery, you receive care from attentive nurses who help you stay as comfortable as possible. You also receive detailed at-home care instructions that keep your recovery moving forward.
MTF top surgery options
The options that are right for you depend on your body type and gender transition goals. Your care may include:
- Placing silicone or saline breast implants
- Using a sample of tissue from somewhere else on your body (fat grafting)
- Augmenting or lifting the breasts to create a fuller bust
- Tightening skin and reshaping breasts in patients who have lost a significant amount of weight
MTF top surgery requirements
Eligibility requirements typically include:
- Being 18 years old or older
- Living as a woman for at least one year
- Being on hormone-affirming therapy with estrogen
- Completing a mental health screening
- Quitting tobacco or marijuana for at least six weeks before surgery
- Agreeing to stay off tobacco or marijuana for up to six weeks after surgery
- Demonstrating that mental health issues, if you have them, are under control
Additional transgender health services
MTF top surgery is one of the many services Henry Ford offers to transwomen. You also have access to gender-affirming hormone therapy, laser hair removal and more. Our specialists work together to coordinate these services so you can focus on taking care of yourself. Find out more about transgender health.
Will my insurance cover top surgery?
Insurance is covering a growing number of female-to-male surgeries, including top surgery. Find out more about insurance plans we accept.
The best way to learn about your coverage is by calling your insurance company. We can help. And if an authorization or appeal is necessary, we take care of it for you.