Female-to-Male (FTM) Top Surgery
Top surgery is a big step in helping female-to-male transgender individuals (transmen) achieve their preferred gender identity. Many transmen put their trust in Henry Ford because we have an established history of successful procedures. Respected experts use leading techniques to help you achieve your goals.
What is top surgery?
Top surgery is a female-to-male (FTM) surgery that creates a more masculine-looking chest in transmen. It may include one or more procedures that surgeons typically perform in the same operation.
FTM top surgery at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
You receive care from a highly skilled plastic surgeon with decades of experience. We follow research-based methods that give you the best chances for good results. Our capabilities enable us to safely treat transmen with medical issues, such as heart disease, or obesity.
Additional highlights of our program include:
- Personalized care: Many patients come to us knowing exactly what they’d like to have done. If you are not sure, we take time to learn about your preferences and recommend the right options for you. We always explain risks, benefits and what to expect, to help ensure you have a good experience.
- Support: Undergoing female-to-male surgery can be exciting, but it may also come with stress and anxiety. We’ve treated many patients and do our best to make the process easier for you. We take time to answer your questions and ease your concerns. And you are welcome to bring loved ones with you to appointments.
- Same-day discharge: FTM top surgery is an outpatient procedure meaning you go home the same day. You receive care from attentive nurses during your recovery. And we provide detailed at-home care instructions to help you stay comfortable and avoid complications.
FTM top surgery options
The options that are right for you depend on your body type and gender transition goals. Your care may include:
- Double mastectomy, which removes both breasts
- Eliminating excess skin near the breasts
- Repositioning and resizing the nipple and areola (dark-colored skin surrounding the nipple)
- Contouring, which repositions tissue for a natural-looking, flat chest
- Laser treatment for improved skin tightening
- Fat grafting to create more definition in the upper chest (pectoral muscles)
FTM top surgery requirements
Eligibility requirements typically include:
- Being 18 years old or older
- Living as a woman for at least one year
- Being on hormone-affirming therapy with testosterone
- Completing a mental health screening
- Quitting tobacco or marijuana for at least six weeks before surgery
- Agreeing to stay off tobacco or marijuana for up to six weeks after surgery
- Demonstrating that mental health issues, if you have them, are under control
Additional transgender health services
FTM top surgery is one of the many services Henry Ford offers to transmen. You can also count on our team for gender-affirming hormone therapy, laser hair removal and more. All of our specialists work together to provide coordinated care that optimizes your health and happiness. Find out more about transgender health.
Will my insurance cover top surgery?
Insurance is covering a growing number of female-to-male surgeries, including top surgery. Find out more about insurance plans we accept.
The best way to learn about your coverage is by calling your insurance company. We can help. And if an authorization or appeal is necessary, we take care of it for you.