Meet our 5- and 10-year survivors
Pancreatic cancer can have a grim diagnosis, but outstanding care from Henry Ford is helping more people beat the odds. Many patients are alive and thriving long after completing treatment. Meet our 5- and 10-year survivors Elton, Tony, Sheila, William and Edna.
Pre-planning treatments before your first oncology visit
We start caring for you before your first appointment. Approximately 30 pancreatic cancer specialists gather in regular meetings called tumor boards. The team includes nationally recognized specialists from all cancer disciplines, including medical-, surgical- and radiation oncology. Meet our team.
The tumor board reviews your medical history, imaging studies and results from other tests. We confirm the diagnosis is accurate, then start forming a treatment plan.
What to expect during your first oncology visit
We start by taking time to get to know you. Experts ask about your symptoms and how they are affecting your daily life. We review test results and perform a brief physical exam. By the end of the appointment, you receive a detailed treatment plan and information about the next steps of your care.
You meet with multiple specialists during your first oncology visit. In addition to cancer specialists, you may meet with:
- Cancer nutrition specialists give personalized recommendations that maximize nutrition even if you are having digestive issues.
- Financial navigators help optimize your medical coverage (insurance) and explain benefits in ways that are easy to understand.
- Nurse navigators coordinate appointments and answer any questions you may have.
- Psycho-oncologists help you cope with behavioral, emotional and social effects of pancreatic cancer.
- Social workers assist you with practical matters, like transportation to and from appointments, if needed.
Pancreatic cancer treatment at Henry Ford
The therapies that are right for you and the order in which you receive them depend in part on the diagnosis. We excel in treating all types of pancreatic cancer and tumors. These include rare conditions and cancers that come back after treatment.
We offer the full range of therapies:
- Chemotherapy and medical oncology use drugs or other substances to halt cancer cell growth.
- Radiation therapy uses powerful beams of energy and sophisticated technologies that enable many patients to complete treatment in less time.
- Surgery typically includes minimally invasive procedures to remove the tumor through the smallest necessary incision.
- Clinical trials testing new therapies, many of which are not widely available, are available to eligible patients.
Supportive care services help you cope with the physical, emotional and practical challenges of living with cancer. We offer a broad range of services, including integrative therapies like acupuncture. And survivorship services help you plan for life after treatment. Find out more about supportive care for pancreatic cancer.
At Henry Ford, you are not alone on your cancer care journey. We offer family-centered support services that connect you with helpful resources and special events. Learn more about cancer support groups, events and classes.