Lung cancer screening has shown that we can detect cancer much earlier in people most at risk.
Lung and Pulmonary Conditions
Personalized care for every type of lung and respiratory issue.
Every year, our pulmonary (lung) and critical care specialists help thousands of patients like you. First, we’ll give you a comprehensive, personalized evaluation. This helps us understand what you’re going through. Then we’ll work with you to build a treatment plan to help you breathe easier.
Lung conditions we treat
Henry Ford helps people manage lung and pulmonary conditions ranging from the straightforward to the complex. We can help you get answers when you feel short of breath or have other lung-related symptoms. Our specialty care can help people who already have a clear diagnosis, and our advanced diagnostic testing can explain symptoms that haven’t yet been diagnosed.
Whether you need regular check-ins for a controlled issue or comprehensive care for an ongoing condition, our experts are available. We get to know you, listen to your concerns and understand your needs. Then we work with you to create a personalized plan to achieve your goals. We have special expertise in:
- Asthma: When medication isn’t working to prevent your asthma flare-ups, we can find out why — and offer solutions. We work with you and your allergist to manage particularly challenging asthma.
- COPD and emphysema: U.S. News & World Report has recognized us as a high-performing center for COPD. Whether you need breathing support, pulmonary rehabilitation or lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS), we’ll deliver the right treatments, with care. Read more about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Pulmonary embolism (PE): A pulmonary embolism is what it’s called when a blood clot lodges in the artery that supplies the lungs — and it’s frightening. We offer the latest options to break up these clots quickly and safely. You’ll also receive expert support as you recover from pulmonary embolism.
- Pulmonary fibrosis and interstitial lung disease (ILD): ILD is a complex set of diseases, including more than 200 disorders. Its effects can seriously diminish your quality of life. Our dedicated lung specialists work to thoroughly understand your background, symptoms and condition. Then we build a care plan that works specifically for you. Find out more about pulmonary fibrosis and interstitial lung disease.
- Pulmonary hypertension (PH): The Pulmonary Hypertension Association’s rigorous accreditation system has named our program as a national Center of Excellence. We offer the most advanced care available to diagnose and understand PH, which results in high blood pressure in your heart and lungs. Our team of experts, including specialized pulmonary pharmacists, will create a personalized plan to help you live a more active life with pulmonary hypertension.
- Lung and thoracic cancer: If you have a lung cancer diagnosis or need a lung screening, we can help. We treat about 650 patients each year for cancers in the lungs and thoracic (chest) organs. We also have expertise in managing cancer caused by asbestos exposure (mesothelioma). Learn more about lung and thoracic cancer.
- Sarcoidosis: Our sarcoidosis program is among only a few programs in the world identified as a Sarcoidosis Center. That means we offer the highest level of care for all types of sarcoid disorders, which involves clusters of cells that can interfere with your breathing and organ function. We have advanced options for lung function testing, diagnosis and even organ transplant. You’ll receive coordinated care from our lung team and Henry Ford’s other specialists in sarcoidosis.
Why choose Henry Ford for your lung care?
Our dedicated team of lung experts are researchers and teachers. That means we stay up to date on the latest treatments and procedures to guide you through a variety of conditions. You’ll benefit from:
- Expertise in difficult-to-treat disorders: Our doctors deliver potentially lifesaving services to patients that other health systems may not be able to treat. Learn more about our lung and pulmonary treatments.
- Caring team: Rest assured, you are receiving the highest levels of pulmonary care at Henry Ford. Our doctors are experienced and compassionate. Meet our pulmonary team.
- Thorough diagnosis: We’ll use the latest technology to test your lung function and pinpoint the source of pulmonary issues. Learn more about screenings and diagnosis.
- Personalized advice: At Henry Ford, multiple specialists review your medical history and study your pulmonary function test results and inhaler and medication use. Then, together, we design an effective, individualized plan to meet your goals. Read more about what to expect.