Lung cancer screening has shown that we can detect cancer much earlier in people most at risk.
Pulmonary Screenings and Diagnosis
When you’re concerned about a lung or respiratory issue, you want answers. Henry Ford Health System delivers. We offer specialized lung tests, screenings and expertise to identify the cause of your breathing problems. Our personalized evaluations help you get the care you need to breathe again.
Henry Ford’s pulmonary screening and diagnostic services
Henry Ford provides advanced diagnosis of lung conditions. Our doctors work with you to find the underlying cause of a pulmonary problem, so you can get the treatment you need. We also help rule out other conditions that could be causing symptoms. Our assessments include:
- Identifying blood clots: When you have a blood clot or a pulmonary embolism, fast treatment can make a difference. Our experienced pulmonary embolism response team (PERT) snaps into action to determine how dangerous a clot is — and get you the right care, right away.
- Testing for other underlying lung diseases: We offer thorough pulmonary function tests at the same locations where you see your lung doctors. We’ll evaluate you to determine if a condition such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or even severe sleep apnea may be causing or worsening your lung condition.
- Heart testing: Cardiac (heart) testing is important in diagnosing pulmonary hypertension (PH). One of our PH specialists is also a cardiologist. That means you can receive advanced heart testing within our lung department.
- Nonsurgical diagnosis: We offer tests and diagnostic options that aren’t available everywhere, because we have one of the region’s most experienced diagnostic bronchoscopy and interventional pulmonology teams. We often use bronchoscopy to diagnose a condition. This technique uses a long, narrow tube with a light and a camera to look inside your lungs. Our doctors use this scope to find the source of a problem, without the need for any incisions.
- Genetic testing: With genetic testing, we can learn more about the source of conditions like PH. Genetic information can even tell us what type of PH you have so we can pinpoint the right treatment. We work with other hospitals and researchers to understand genetic (inherited) links to other conditions.
- Lung cancer screening: Lung cancer is all too common — yet when caught early, it is treatable. If you’re eligible, we can screen you for lung disease with no out-of-pocket cost or insurance copay. Find out about our lung cancer screening.
- Pre-surgical exams: Before you have surgery, your doctor will want to understand your lungs’ condition. Your surgeon may call on our team for a preoperative pulmonary evaluation. We regularly do these check-ups to help you get through surgery safely.