Much like other pulmonary conditions, the symptoms of COPD include:
- Progressive shortness of breath
- Excess phlegm
Diagnosis and treatment
COPD is generally diagnosed with a pulmonary function test which includes various types of tests that are used to determine different pulmonary issues.
If you are diagnosed with COPD, your doctor may recommend some combination of these treatment options:
- Quit Smoking: The leading cause of COPD is smoking, and quitting is the most effective – and important -- treatment. Our Henry Ford Tobacco Treatment Services provides several methods to help you quit.
- Medicines: These include inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled steroids.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Pulmonary rehabilitation and exercise programs relieve some of the symptoms of COPD.
- Prevention of Infection: Annual vaccines are important to prevent the flu and pneumonia, which can worsen COPD symptoms.
- Surgery: Lung volume reduction surgery or lung transplantation may be done to help you feel better.