Lung and Respiratory Treatments
Leading care for even the most challenging pulmonary diseases.
Many people choose Henry Ford Health for ongoing pulmonary care. Others find themselves here in a critical situation. Either way, you are in good hands.
Our team of pulmonary experts offers compassionate, dedicated medical services. We’ll be by your side, from understanding your symptoms, through diagnosis and the full scope of treatment. We offer:
- Expertise for your lung condition: We offer highly specialized care in pulmonary medicine. We regularly treat difficult-to-manage diseases like pulmonary fibrosis, interstitial lung disease and sarcoidosis. We care for patients from around the world after accidents, infections and trauma cause airway damage. And we can help you find answers for even the most complex conditions, including lung cancer and cancers that spread to the lungs. Learn more about lung conditions we treat.
- Thorough diagnosis: You’ll benefit from the latest technology and skills to pinpoint the source of lung problems. We can find and treat issues deep within the lungs. Learn more about screenings and diagnosis.
- Personalized advice: We bring multiple specialists together to review your medical history, pulmonary function test results, and inhaler and medication use. Then we design an effective, personalized treatment plan. We always remember that you are an individual, with individual needs. Meet our pulmonary team.
- Advanced treatment: Our doctors have access to the latest treatment tools and knowledge, which means you will, too. As a teaching program, we’re at the forefront of new ways to manage lung problems. And because we are a research center, our patients have access to clinical trials for emerging treatments. Read more about what to expect.
Lung treatments we offer
Medical and surgical services
Henry Ford provides a full slate of medical services for people living with lung conditions. We offer ongoing treatment for chronic conditions like asthma and pulmonary hypertension. And for serious and urgent lung conditions, we provide lung transplantation and critical care. Here you’ll find:
- Critical care: Doctors with special pulmonary training staff our critical and intensive care units. They have expertise in managing very ill patients who are receiving support from a ventilator (breathing machine). We have a dedicated unit to care for the particular needs of people with pulmonary hypertension. Learn more about critical care.
- Interventional pulmonology: Interventional pulmonology is a specialty that uses tools like bronchoscopes and thoracoscopes — narrow, tubelike instruments that let doctors see into your lungs and airways and treat conditions without surgery. We’ve provided interventional pulmonology services since 1982 . We routinely provide care this way, including advanced techniques like whole lung lavage. Read about interventional pulmonology.
- Lung and thoracic cancer treatment: We treat nearly 650 patients each year for lung and thoracic (chest) cancers and mesothelioma (a cancer caused by asbestos exposure). With minimally invasive techniques like bronchoscopy, we can make a faster, more accurate diagnosis and establish your treatment plan. Get more information about how we care for lung and thoracic cancer.
- Lung surgery: Our lung specialists safely perform many types of surgical procedures. We can perform some procedures using minimally invasive approaches, with small incisions for faster healing. Learn more about specific types of lung surgery for the lung conditions we treat.
- Lung transplantation: We treat lung disease up to and including transplant. We established our program in 1992, making it one of the most experienced transplant centers in the U.S. Our surgeons offer single or double lung transplant, and we regularly perform lung transplant through small incisions. With a coordinator available 24 hours a day, you’ll receive close personal attention throughout the process. Find out more about lung transplant.
- Lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS): People living with emphysema often have trouble breathing. For some, LVRS can help. LVRS removes part of a diseased lung that isn’t working. Afterward, the lungs have more space to breathe, and that can help people return to a more active lifestyle. Learn more about lung volume reduction surgery.
Medical support services
During and after your treatment, we’re here to help. We offer comprehensive support for people living with lung conditions or recovering after treatment, including:
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT): We deliver HBOT in a special pressurized room where people breathe 100 percent oxygen. The treatment can help heal wounds and infections faster. It can also relieve some problems after radiation therapy for cancer. A board-certified specialist in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine runs our HBOT chamber. Learn more about hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
- Pulmonary function testing: Initially, we use pulmonary function tests to help diagnose the type of disease and assess how much it’s affecting your ability to breathe. Throughout the course of treatment, you’ll return for pulmonary function to check your progress. Read more about pulmonary function tests.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Pulmonary rehabilitation can help you manage chronic lung disease and regain energy. Our supervised exercise program is for anyone with a diagnosed lung disease who experiences shortness of breath. Find out more about pulmonary rehabilitation.