Spine Surgery Prehab
The goal of our innovative Spine Prehab program is to prepare you for your spine surgery and recovery.
At Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, you will experience state-of-the art service and exceptional care for your spine condition. Our hospital is one of the busiest spine centers in the region, and our experienced surgeons treat everything from simple to complex cases. We offer many surgical options, including minimally invasive procedures.
What is Spine Prehab?
When your physician has determined that you need spine surgery, it’s important to understand what your surgery will entail before, during and after your procedure – and what you can do to help ensure the best possible recovery. Spine Prehab is our presurgical program that is designed to prepare you for your surgical experience, your inpatient stay and postsurgical spine therapy.
One key element we explore in Spine Prehab is increasing your level of aerobic activity and strengthening your core muscles prior to your spine surgery. These types of exercises help to improve surgical outcomes by:
- Decreasing your pain
- Improving your mobility
- Helping you get back to your normal routine faster
What to expect during the Spine Prehab program
During the Spine Prehab program, you will learn more about each stage of your surgical experience:
- Before your spine surgery: Including what to bring to the hospital, when you should expect to be contacted, and instructions for the day before your spine surgery
- Day of spine surgery: What to expect during presurgical preparation and immediately after your procedure
- Initial recovery: A review of general instructions and interactions with spine team
- Pain expectations and management: The importance of your customized pain management plan, medications and how to use them, and tips for reducing pain
- Therapy: Depending your specific spine surgery, your surgeon may order physical and/or occupational therapy
- Transitioning back home: Including discharge planning, special medical equipment, medications, infection prevention and home care
While the Spine Prehab program is designed to give you more information, you and your spine surgeon have established a surgical plan. Please refer to your pre-surgical visit regarding your specific procedure. Depending on your spine surgery, there may be some variation with therapy services and equipment recommendations. Your surgeon knows you best and will tailor your treatment to your spinal condition and needs.