Baseline concussion testing at Henry Ford Health helps athletes of all skill levels stay proactive about their brain health. It’s a quick, easy assessment of your normal neurological and cognitive function before an injury occurs.
We evaluate your balance, focus, memory and other skills while you’re healthy. If you do sustain a concussion, we have the information we need to determine how a head injury may be affecting your brain health.
Pre-concussion screening: what to expect
We recommend annual baseline testing for anyone (ages 9 and up) who may be at risk for concussion, especially those who play collision sports.
Our athletic trainers can provide baseline testing at schools. Athletes can also come to our sports medicine clinics for testing. Screenings are quick (about 45 minutes) and painless. You don’t need any blood tests or imaging scans.
During the test, we evaluate your:
- Health history: It’s important for us to know if you have a preexisting health condition, such as depression, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), migraine headaches or a history of concussions. These conditions can affect your recovery if you do sustain a head injury or concussion. We also assess your diet, sleep habits, mood and other factors to get a complete picture of your health.
- Neurocognitive function: A cognitive assessment collects information about your memory, concentration, recall and ability to learn and solve problems. We test your neurological health by evaluating vision, balance, reflexes, reaction timing, hearing and nerve function.
Benefits of baseline testing
If you do get a concussion, we compare your baseline results to your post-injury results. This information lets us see how your brain health may be affected and helps us create a safe, effective plan for recovery and return-to-play.
Even if you never sustain a concussion or head injury, annual pre-concussion testing is a valuable tool in tracking your brain health over time. Changes in your neurocognitive, emotional or psychological health alert us early to health problems such as depression, anxiety and learning disabilities. We can provide interventional treatment to help you function better in sports, school or at work.
Baseline concussion test: Why choose Henry Ford?
We’re uniquely qualified to offer baseline testing and other services that keep athletes at the top of their game. At our sports neurology clinic, you’ll find:
- Experienced providers: Our experts include a sports neurologist and athletic trainers. We work closely with imaging specialists, physical therapists, registered dietitians and other providers to ensure you receive all the care you need from one source.
- Community involvement: We’re trusted by club organizations, middle schools, high schools, colleges and pro teams throughout the region to deliver the highest level of care, on and off the sidelines. We work with athletes, parents and coaches to provide baseline testing, injury prevention guidance, sports injury treatment and performance coaching.
- Care for the whole athlete: At Henry Ford, we believe sports medicine means more than treating injuries. We help athletes achieve peak physical and mental health by evaluating everything from brain health and sleep patterns to stress levels and nutrition. This personalized approach helps us build care plans tailored to your unique needs.
Request an appointment
Request an appointment or learn more about baseline testing. We offer in-person and virtual visits.
Explore our blogs
Learn more about baseline testing and concussions: