Sports Neurology Clinic
Head injury treatment from sports medicine experts.
Perform at your very best, on and off the playing field. After a head injury, we can help you safely return to your life — at school, at home and at work. The experts at the Henry Ford Kutcher Clinic for Concussion and Sports Neurology are here to help you achieve total brain health.
Maybe you’re a young athlete who sustained a concussion last week. Or perhaps you’re an active adult still dealing with the effects of an old head injury. No matter the circumstances, you should never leave your brain health to chance. We offer thorough assessments and highly specialized care for neurological disorders and trauma, including concussions and complex head injuries.
Head injury care: Why choose Henry Ford Health?
We’ve partnered with renowned sports neurologist and concussion experts, to bring the best care to the region. People choose us because we offer:
- Unique approach: We combine two areas of expertise — sports medicine and neurology. We specialize in helping teenage and adult athletes who have problems with their brain, spine or peripheral nerve system. Whether it’s a new injury or a previous neurological diagnosis, we can help.
- Community involvement: We’re trusted by high school and collegiate teams throughout the region to deliver concussion education, diagnosis and treatment. We work with parents, teachers and coaches to help athletes recover and safely return to play.
- Personalized care: We take the time to get to know you, not just the suspected injury or disorder. A neurological condition can have far-reaching effects, with more than 20 symptoms for concussions alone. We evaluate how trauma or disease has affected your life — sleep, school, work, mood, diet — to design the right treatment plan.
- Friday afternoons (by appointment): Henry Ford Center for Athletic Medicine in Detroit
- Thursday afternoons (by appointment): Henry Ford Medical Center - Columbus in Novi
- Telehealth appointments available
Neurological conditions we treat
Neurological health issues can take many forms — not only sports injuries but also underlying disorders and damage from falls and car accidents. While we focus on treating teenage and adult athletes facing these challenges, we can also help others, too.
We care for:
- Concussions (mild traumatic brain injury)
- Migraine headaches
- Post-concussion syndrome
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders
- Movement disorders
- Muscle and nerve injuries
- Spinal cord disorders
Treatments and services for total brain health
We base our treatment recommendations on a comprehensive physical and neurological evaluation. Our specialists assess everything from behavior to cognition (thinking, learning and remembering). After we’ve mapped the full extent of your symptoms, we create a detailed care plan. Our goal is restoring brain health and helping you safely return to your life.
- Assistance with school or work accommodations
- Baseline testing, or measuring brain function when you’re healthy to have a comparison if you get injured
- Manipulation of muscles and joints
- Medications, nerve blocks and trigger point injections
- Neurocognitive assessments
- Return-to-play plans and authorization
We can also arrange additional care through other Henry Ford programs:
- Neuropsychology, for neuropsychological evaluations
- Rehabilitation Services, for physical therapy or rehabilitation for balance and vision