This online interactive breastfeeding class provides women and their partners information about maternity best practices and the benefits of...
Your kidneys can fail for many reasons: infection, injury, or conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes. If other treatments do not help or you need dialysis, you also may benefit from a kidney transplant.
Henry Ford performed Detroit’s first-ever kidney transplant in 1968. Our team continually seeks new ways to make kidney transplants safer and recoveries easier for recipients and living donors.
Why choose Henry Ford for a kidney transplant?
When you come to Henry Ford for a kidney transplant, you benefit from:
- Comprehensive program: We offer a range of transplant options to suit your individual needs. We are among a select few centers in Michigan performing all types of kidney transplants, including transplants from living donors. Your kidney transplant team works closely with experts from Henry Ford’s Division of Nephrology and Hypertension and the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Bone and Mineral Disorders.
- Minimally invasive procedures: We put you back on your feet faster with minimally invasive surgery that poses less risk of infection, reduces pain after surgery and speeds recovery. We are the first and only center in Michigan to offer robotic-assisted kidney transplant surgery, and are leaders in using laparoscopic procedures for living kidney donors. Learn about the types of kidney transplants we offer.
- Excellent success rates: Our living donor program boasts excellent graft survival outcomes, meaning the transplanted kidney continues to work. Learn more about our kidney transplant outcomes.
- Personalized care: Your kidney transplant coordinators are nurses who guide you through every step of the process. You can connect with other patients through monthly support groups for those with kidney disease or diabetes. Check out transplant patient stories to hear what our patients say about their great care at Henry Ford.
- Treatment for high-risk patients: Our depth of experience means we can treat patients turned down by other centers due to an earlier transplant, blood transfusion or weight issues.
- Innovation: Our doctors helped pioneer a breakthrough cooling technique that preserves donor kidneys longer and gives surgeons more time to perform robotic-assisted kidney transplants. Since Henry Ford is a national research institution, you can participate in kidney transplant clinical trials and research such as new treatments to prevent infection and organ rejection.
- Convenience: Our kidney transplant clinics throughout Michigan make it easier for you to receive physical exams and blood tests before and after surgery.
Faster transplants at Henry Ford
The less time you have to wait for a transplant, the greater your chances of success. To speed the process, Henry Ford offers a FAST Track program. Our kidney transplant team is able to complete all of your required medical tests and psychological assessments in one day. We receive your test results back right away so we can quickly place you on the national transplant waitlist.
Pediatric kidney transplants
We partner with the pediatric kidney transplant program at Children’s Hospital of Michigan. When these younger patients reach adulthood, they can continue their transplant care at Henry Ford. Learn more about the Transplant Center at Children’s.