Henry Ford International Center for the Study of Breast Cancer Subtypes
Henry Ford’s International Center for the Study of Breast Cancer Subtypes (ICSBCS) was created to enhance breast cancer prevention and treatment through advances in research and delivery of care to diverse populations worldwide.
Led by Lisa A. Newman, M.D., the ICSBCS has worked for 12 years with the Department of Surgery at the Komfo Anoyke Teaching Hospital in Kumasi, Ghana.
This partnership has advanced global knowledge about race/ethnicity-associated variations in breast cancer, as well as broadened the scope of understanding of international medical and surgical practices for trainees in Ghana and the United States, through:
- Innovative Research: To further study breast cancer subtypes in women with African ancestry, including triple negative breast cancer, Henry Ford created a research registry of breast tissues from Ghanaian and Ethiopian women. Genetic information gathered from the registry works to advance the understanding of this disease, paving the way for better diagnosis and treatment.
- Medical Education Exchange: Medical and research teams from Henry Ford travel throughout the year to Komfo Anoyke Teaching Hospital (KATH) to assist with clinical activities and recruitment efforts for the research partnership. Henry Ford also sponsors KATH team visits to Michigan for onsite clinical training and observation, and to launch additional breast cancer research projects.
- International Patient Consultation: A state-of-the-art video conference system has made it possible for weekly, real-time communication between experts at Henry Ford and KATH, as part of KATH’s Breast Cancer Multidisciplinary Tumor Board. Using the telemedicine system, Henry Ford is able to consult with KATH on treatment plans for Ghanaian breast cancer patients.
New International Collaborators on the Horizon
Henry Ford’s International Center is in the process of establishing additional breast oncology program collaborations with the following institutions:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences in India
- Tamale Teaching Hospital in Ghana
- Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University in China
- Makerere University School of Health Sciences/Mulago Hospital in Uganda
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences/Muhimbili National Hospital in Tanzania
- Université de Ouagadougou in Bakina Faso (West Africa)
To learn more about Henry Ford’s International Center for the Study of Breast Cancer Subtypes, email ICSBCS@hfhs.org.